Head Start Teacher
|Date Opened||4/3/2017 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/8/2017 07:45:00 AM|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Certification in First Aid and CPR within 12 months of the date assigned to this classification;
- 5 hours Emergent Literacy for VPK Instructors
- 5 hours Early Literacy for VPK Instructors within 6 months of hire
- A background investigation and fingerprint identification prior to hiring; and the following credit hours:
- BA/BS in ECE Education (10); or
- Degree in related field with 18 ECE (8); or
- Master Degree in ECE (12); and
- HS/EHS (1); or Early Childhood exp. within the last 2 years (2); and
Training in the following:
- DAP hours certification in preschool or infant/toddler (10)
- CCL 30 hours DCF transcript (15)
- 5 hours Emergent Literacy for VPK Instructors (10)
- 3 hours Standards for Four-Year-Olds (5)
- Special Needs course 10hrs (10)
- Director Credential (5)
- CPR/First Aid (5)
Graduation from an accredited four year degree (BA/BS) granting college or university in Early Childhood Education or a related field; or four year degree in any field with 18 credit hours in Early Childhood Education; and One year of experience in teaching Head Start, Early Head Start, pre-school or kindergarten age children.
Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted below; and
A Certificate of Developmentally Appropriate Practices for Infant/Toddlers or Preschool Course (10-hours); and
*Introductory Child Care Training (30-hours).
*Child Growth and Development (6-hours), Behavioral Observation & Screening (6-hours), Health, Safety & Nutrition (8-hours), Identifying and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect (4-hours), Child Care Facility Rules and Regulations (6-hours).
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to remain seated on the floor for extended periods of time;
- Ability to remain standing for extended periods of time;
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally requires extensive safety training and/or protective devices;
- Occasionally in a high noise environment
- Occasionally has exposure to infectious material/disease.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Ability to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds.
Ability to lift and carry up to fifty (50) pounds.
Note: The following duties are illustrative and not exhaustive. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Depending on assigned area of responsibility, incumbents in the position may perform some or all of the activities described below.
- Plans, develops and implements daily lesson plans that provide for educational and enrichment activities for preschool age children that meet federal performance standards.
- Plans and arranges classrooms into distinctive learning areas that promote an effective learning environment.
- Screens and assesses preschool aged children to determine developmental/educational needs and develops and implements individual education plans that comply with federal performance standards.
- Monitors meal and snack periods, classroom and restroom activities, and playground activities to ensure a safe environment for young children.
- Documents children's progress or lack thereof and completes all required manual and computerized forms and reports in accordance with federal requirements.
- Initiates referrals to the appropriate Lead Teacher by submission of required paperwork.
- Plans classroom activities for parent and community volunteers.
- Attends and participates in workshops and other meetings to acquire and disseminate information.
- Communicates with parents through parent conferences, written correspondence, telephone and home visits to apprise them of child's progress, upcoming events, classroom activities, individual education plan changes, and other relevant information.
- Conducts health checks on children for health concerns, including ringworm, head lice or other health conditions, and reports to appropriate nurse.
- Reports suspected child abuse and neglect to designated state agency. Plans, coordinates and oversees field trips for assigned children.
- Requests supplies and equipment to be ordered for use by children in the classroom.
- Serves as a bus monitor in the transportation of children and engages children in song and other developmentally appropriate activities during ride.
- Assists in the transportation of special needs children by lifting child into seat and fastening safety belt.
- Inspects classrooms and grounds to ensure the safety, orderliness, sanitation and cleanliness of facilities.
- Discusses plans and coordinates concerns regarding the child and family with other Head Start staff.
- Performs First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
This classification description is not intended to be, nor should it be construed as an all inclusive list of the duties associated with a particular position. Management may require incumbents to perform job duties other than those contained in this document at any time.
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from three health care plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 60 days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to 12 paid holidays per year.
Visit our Employee Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees may be required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to a major emergency or natural disasters affecting County operations. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees may be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*