Serves as a company officer in charge of fire personnel. Deploys personnel in an efficient and effective manner in order to meet the mission of the Dayton Fire Department.
Graduation from high school (or G.E.D.) AND must have 2 consecutive years of service in the classification of Fire Lieutenant on the examination date.
Must possess and maintain current State and Department mandated Emergency Medical Technician, Firefighter II, and Fire Safety Inspector certifications as a term and condition of continued employment.
Must possess a valid driver's license at time of appointment and maintain thereafter as a term and condition of continued employment.
Must be currently employed in the Department of Fire with the City of Dayton.
Examination dates and times are subject to change. Calculators will be provided for the Civil Service examination. Final appointment may be contingent upon the applicant passing a drug screen. Applicants are responsible for providing all necessary employment dates, experience, training, or any other requirements as stated in the Exam Announcement, in order for their application to be considered for certification and admittance to the examination process
A background investigation is required prior to employment. All candidates must pass any level of background investigation applicable to the position, including current city employees seeking transfer, promotion, demotion, etc. into a classified position.
Principle Sources of Study Material
- Art of Reading Buildings - Mittendorf and Dodson (Copyright 2015) [Sections 1 & 2]
- Fire and Emergency Services Company Officer, Part B-IFSTA, 5th Edition (Copyright 2014)
- Firefighting Operations in High-Rise and Standpipe Equipped Buildings - McGrail (Copyright 2007)
- Fireground Strategies – Avillo (3rd Edition) – Fire Engineering (Copyright 2019) [Chapters 4,6,7,8,15]
- Fire Department Incident Safety Officer - Dodson, Third Edition (Copyright 2016)
- Effective Supervisory Practices, ICMA, Fifth Edition (Copyright 2013)
- City of Dayton Personnel Policies and Procedures [Sections 1.07, 1.10, 1.12, 2, 5.05, 5.09, 5.10, 5.14, 5.16, 5.17, 6, 7, 8.01, 8.06 and 11.04] (with revisions through July 1, 2022)
- Civil Service Rules and Regulations [Rules 7-15; 17; 18] (with revisions through July 1, 2022)
- Dayton Fire Department Tactics Manual (May, 2007); to include Chapter V, High Rise, and Tactical Manual Addendum (2017); Rules and Regulations; Care of Quarters and Equipment [29.1 through 29.9]; Apparatus Training Manual [Section 4, Units 1,2, and 3]; General Orders; SOP Manual (with revisions through July 1, 2022)
- Agreement, International Association of Firefighters, Local 136, A.F.L.-C.I.O. and the City of Dayton, Ohio effective January 1, 2021 through December 31, 2023)
October 19, 2022 - Time to be Announced
Civil Service Board Office
371 West Second Street, Lower Level
Dayton, Ohio 45402
*Certified candidates will be sent a link to self-schedule their examination time at a later date.