Nature of Work
Operates as district commander of a fire district on an assigned shift or as commander of an assigned support unit or bureau.
Graduation from high school (or G.E.D.).
Must have 2 consecutive years of service in the classification of Fire Captain as of the examination posting date.
Must possess a valid driver’s license at time of appointment and maintain thereafter as a term and condition of continued employment.
Must possess and maintain current state and department mandated Emergency Medical Technician, Firefighter II, and Fire Safety Inspector certifications as a term and condition of continued employment.
Must be currently employed in the Department of Fire with the City of Dayton.
Examination dates and times are subject to change. Calculators will be provided for the Civil Service examination. Applicants are responsible for providing all necessary employment dates, experience, training, or any other requirements as stated in the Exam Announcement, in order for their application to be considered for certification and admittance to the examination process.
Principle Sources of Study Material
1. The Fire Chief's Handbook - Marinucci (7th Edition) [Chapters 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26 and 30].
2. Art of Reading buildings - Mittendorf and Dodson (Copyright 2015) [Section 3].
3. Essentials of Fire Department Customer Service - Brunacini (1st Edition).
4. Managing Fire and Emergenccy Services - ICMA Thiel and Jennings (4th Edition) [Part 1, 2 and 4].
5. Chief Officer - IFSTA (3rd) Edition).
6. It's Your Ship - Abrashoff (Special 10th Anniversary Edition - Revised and Updated).
7. City of Dayton Personnel Policies and Procedures [1.07, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8.01, and 8.06] (with revisions through January 15, 2020).
8. Civil Service Rules and Regulations, including Policies (with revisions through January 15, 2020).
9. Dayton Fire Department Tactics Manual (May, 2007) to include Chapter V, High rise; Tactics Manual Addendum 2017; General Orders; SOP Manual; Rules and Regulations (with revisions through January 15, 2020).
10. Agreement, International Association of Firefighters, Local 136, A.F.L. - C.I.O. and the City of Dayton, Ohio (effective January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2020).
Examination Date and Time to be Announced
Civil Service Board Office
371 West Second Street, Lower Level
Dayton, Ohio 45402
*Certified candidates will be sent a link to self-schedule their examination time at a later date.