C03 $42,428 plus a shift differential of $2,000 annually
$4,000 sign on bonus, paid in installments
Nature and Scope
Nature and Scope at Suscom, Kentcom and Recom
An incumbent in this class works under the direct supervision of a Telecommunications Shift Supervisor or a Senior Telecommunications Specialist as assigned. Incumbents are responsible for receiving calls to the center and/or routing them to the appropriate response agency via telephone and or radio. A significant aspect of the work involves the ability to work under pressure in high stressful situations.
Nature and Scope at HQ Comm
This center functions as a constant 24-hour comprehensive support service, in data communications operations, radio communications operations and radio, data and telephone administration. These functions are directly supportive of the criminal justice community, emergency management agencies, the nuclear power plants and various other state agencies.
Principal Accountabilities at Suscom, Kentcom, and Recom
- Receives and routes calls to and from the center to the appropriate response agency based on the priority and nature of the call.
- Receives and dispatches information to state and municipal police agencies using the Public Safety 10-Code, 800 MHz radios, telephones, computer aided dispatch (CAD) and other telecommunications equipment.
- Directs police officers to scenes of crimes, accidents or complaints reading maps, grids and charts to ensure destination is reached.
- Monitors an 800mhz radio system in order to provide assistance during emergency situations.
- Talks to citizens requesting assistance during crisis situations and relays emergency information to appropriate response agency.
- Inputs and retrieves information from Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), National Crime Information Center (NCIC), Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) to relay to officers or other criminal justice agencies.
- Reads maps to find locations to relay to officers and locate citizens in need of help.
- Maintain a valid certification in Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) at Suscom and Kentcom and maintain a valid emergency fire dispatch (EFD) at Kentcom.
- Test emergency equipment such as 800 MHz radios, computer aided dispatch (CAD), TDD equipment, personal computers (PC’s), telephone equipment to ensure all equipment is in proper working condition.
- Maintain files and keep records of daily, monthly and yearly activities.
- Attend assigned training as scheduled.
- Adhere to standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and divisional policy.
- Provide public and officer safety.
- Performs other related work as required.
Principal Accountabilities at HQ Comm
- Perform various emergency call-outs using the proper notification methods and equipment.
- Perform in fullest capacity as a help desk and informational resource center to end-users.
- Maintain and monitor nuclear siren equipment and participate in federally mandated drills.
- Monitor state-wide alarm system and make notifications to proper authorities.
- Maintain quality and authorized transmitted data of routine and emergency telecommunication messages through State and NLETS systems.
- Perform timely and accurate entries/clears in to the local and state-wide systems.
- Maintain Central Message Processor'’ continual operation and network availability.
- Perform trouble-shooting techniques and initiating of corrective actions.
- Monitor radios and dispatch as required.
- Perform call outs for on call special response teams and homeland security messages.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities at Suscom, Kentcom, and Recom
- Ability to learn all department procedures, ID codes, Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) rules and regulations, criminal and traffic laws and medical procedures, FCC Radio Safety 10-Code and other appropriate emergency information.
- Knowledge of all aspects of computer, telecommunications operations.
- Knowledge of geography and area within jurisdiction. Proficiency in data entry.
- Ability to solicit accurate information in a crisis situation.
- Ability to deliver information accurately and efficiently.
- Ability to write reports.
- Ability to remain calm and make quick decisions in crisis and stressful situations.
- Ability to relate well with the public over the phone.
- Ability to multitask specifically in stressful situations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities at HQ Comm
- Ability to learn radio and data telecommunications operations.
- Knowledge of personal computers and working in a window’s environment Proficient in data entry and computer operations.
- Ability to speak clearly.
- Ability to function in a controlled environment with constant machine noise and work pressures.
Minimum Qualifications at Suscom, Kentcom, Recom, and HQ Comm
- High school graduate with course work in typing or data entry and the ability to work day shift, night shift and holidays when scheduled; speak and listen clearly over the radio and telephone.
- Proficiency test requirement:
- Applicant must pass a computerized multi tasking test. Background requirements: Applicant must pass a thorough background check administered by the Delaware State Police.
Conditions of Employment
Direct deposit of paychecks is required as a condition of employment. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of employment.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization) that has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other applicable terms and conditions of employment, in accordance with Title 29, Chapter 59 and Title 19, Chapter 13 and 16. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement based on its individual terms.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458.
TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance.
The State of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.