$20.29 hourly wage
Nature and Scope
This full performance level position supports all aspects of a LAN (hardware and software) and telecommunication systems for voice/video/images as a systems administrator. The support work emphasizes monitoring, operation and maintenance involved in the administration of a LAN and telecommunication systems, end user assistance through help desk customer services, and technical systems maintenance through diagnostics and repair.
- Configures, installs, tests, troubleshoots, repairs and monitors operation of LAN hardware/software including desktop computers, data/voice/video communication systems, including peripheral devices, wiring and cabling to ensure connectivity and functionality.
- Identifies and resolves network and telecommunication system malfunctions including connectivity and functionality for mainframe and remote access and other connections/interfaces; start/restart network after disruptions or failures using computer diagnostic tools and software; run system backups; resolves desktop computer problems.
- Provides customer service through central help desk function to resolve or ensure resolution of problem diagnosis/assessment and repairs. Maintains database of user problems and resolution. Performs routine network systems administration to include, but not limited to: addition/deletion of users and hardware/software, defining access rights, implementing and ensuring compliance with security procedures and policies, purchasing hardware/software through state contracts, planning and implementing desktop computer migration and maintaining inventory control systems. Advises and trains users on the operation and capabilities of hardware and application software.
- Plans, schedules, installs and tests software updates and hardware upgrades; conducts needs analysis of equipment, software, network security, budget, disaster recovery concerns, training and equipment resources to plan and recommend network changes in ways that meet program goals. Coordinates network expansion with agency technical staff, consultants, contractual vendors or OTM.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for installing, testing, configuring, troubleshooting and repairing data/voice/video/imaging communication systems and associated wiring, network dependent devices and network infrastructure components.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for performing diagnostics and problem resolution associated with computer based systems and local area networks or wide area networks.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of voice/video/imaging systems administration and data network administration.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to use sound judgment and reach logical conclusions.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems/needs/issues, assess their impact and make recommendations.
- Ability to provide guidance and direction to a variety of people pertaining to applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people.
Applicant must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for installing, testing, and configuring networks as well as the associated wiring, network dependent devices and infrastructure components.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving network problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- The Telecommunications/Network Technician I is the first level in this series. This level performs basic technical procedures in customer support, maintenance and/or administration of a local area network.
- Work is similar to the Technician II level but assignments are structured and performed with close supervision. This level performs full range of less complex, routine activities as a systems administrator, systems technician and/or help desk technician. Carries out established work processes and operations. Learns agency operations.
- Emphasis is on maintaining functionality of the network, set up and configure PCs and network dependent devices using standard configurations; install network interface cards, printers, drives, monitors, etc.; perform rudimentary training for end users. Maintain inventory lists, backup schedules and other lists.
- Provide first level help desk function for problem resolution. Logs problems, conducts structured telephone interviews to rule out various problem sources, performs preliminary troubleshooting to establish facts and detect malfunctions, e.g., guide user through various tests, obtain and interpret error messages, determine probable problem sources; contact and provide information to technical specialist within or outside the agency; solves practical problems stemming from operational error or minor hardware problems. Perform minor PC repairs and resolves minor procedural problems relating to the operation of applications.
- Guidelines are available in the form of standard operating procedures and policies or techniques, hardware and software manuals, copyrights, and standards/instructions.
- Regular contacts are typically with internal agency staff and with others outside the supervisory chain, regardless of the method of communication, for the purpose of coordinating and gathering information.
Conditions of Employment
Direct deposit of paychecks is required as a condition of employment. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of employment.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate/applicant selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or, may decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458.
TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance.
To learn more about the comprehensive benefit package please click here
or on the Benefits link above.
The State of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.