- hourly / - monthly / - annual
The position requires:
· An understanding and knowledge of the handling of and procedures for the continuity and the chain of custody of evidence in general but in particular for courtroom presentation.
· The creation and maintenance of a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) including procedures for submitting requests from the field for digital evidence and filling those requests within the evidence guidelines.
· Ensuring the policies and procedures pertaining to such digital evidence conform to the proper evidentiary submission accepted in the state and federal courts and must liaison with the Attorney General’s Office to keep abreast of case law and court rulings that affect digital evidence.
· Recommending procedures for improvement of digital evidence handling and present sound proposals for consideration to management.
· The ability to use the evidence management system user-interface to manage electronic video, photos, documents, etc. which includes the administration of case folders that electronic evidence are appended to.
· The need to search, find, retrieve, and burn video evidence to a media that can be distributed to the Attorney General’s Office, members of the division, and any approved outside parties entitled to such evidence either by divisional policy or the rules of evidence. Should any event, expected to be in evidence, not be retrievable for any reason, the incumbent must have the ability to identify the reason the evidence is not retrievable and be able to sufficiently explain the reason why both verbally and in writing and if necessary, provide testimony of any such condition in any state or federal courtroom where such evidence is being considered.
· Be responsible for training field users including troop administrators in how to use the digital evidence system to submit, find, retrieve, burn to disc, and review video per the guidelines.
· Provide customer service to resolve or ensure resolution of problem diagnosis/assessment and repair. · Perform routine audits of the system to ensure the system is working properly and all evidence that is coded to auto-burn actually performed this function
. · Advise and train users on the operation and capabilities of hardware and application software related to digital evidence.
· Work with the Information Technology Section to plan, schedule, install and test software updates and hardware upgrades.
· Conduct needs analysis of equipment, software, training and equipment resources to plan and recommend system changes in ways that meet program goals
· Demonstrate the ability to coordinate system expansion with management, agency technical staff, consultants, and contractual vendors.
· Provide system administration independently e.g., evaluates system performance, troubleshoot operating systems; coordinate installation and conduct testing to assure system is operating properly.
· Coordinate with vendors and Information Technology technicians to resolve issues.
· Communicate effectively with management and instruct users on the steps to follow to correct a problem with the operation of equipment.
Knowledge of evidence handling procedures for the continuity and chain of custody of evidence.
Knowledge of both state and federal courts and the rules of evidence that apply to them. Knowledge of the rules for discovery requests and how digital evidence is affected by those rules.
Ability to use digital evidence management system interface to manage electronic video, photos, documents, etc which includes administration of case folders that electronic evidence is appended to.
Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to provide understandable instructions to civilian and sworn personnel on the use of the existing digital evidence system.
Ability to use sound judgment and reach reasonable and logical conclusions when encountering issues requiring the involvement of the incumbent.
Ability to identify and analyze problems, additional requirements, or user issues and assess their impact and make recommendations related to them
Ability to provide guidance and direction to a variety of people pertaining to applicable laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people.
Experience in evidence handling procedures for the continuity and chain of custody of evidence.
Understanding of court procedures and testimony in state and federal courts.
Experience in the rules of evidence as they apply to digital evidence.
Experience in operating computer systems, to include but not limited to: Coban in-car video system
Experience in serving as a liaison between internal and external agencies
Must have the ability to manage case folders and organize the information for distribution
Ability to search, find, retrieve, and burn digital evidence
Ability communicate effectively both orally and writing
Ability to instruct on the system in use for digital evidence
Ten (10) years of law enforcement experience
Must have a valid driver’s license
Direct deposit of paychecks is required as a condition of employment. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of employment.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate/applicant selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or, may decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.