Make a Difference with DHSS
Our mission at the Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) is to improve the quality of life of Delaware citizens by promoting health and well-being, fostering self-sufficiency, and protecting vulnerable populations. We prioritize personal and family independence by assisting individuals and families in a variety of life areas.
We offer numerous career opportunities and are dedicated to attracting and retaining highly talented individuals who are ready to make a difference in their community today. DHSS is a great place to kick-start your profession.
For more information, please visit https://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/ today!
The incumbents in these positions will perform preventative maintenance, repair, and restoration activities for all of Sussex County DHSS sites, including Stockley Hospital. These duties will be performed on: structures, water, sewage and equipment.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Performs preventative routine and complex maintenance repairs on interior and exterior building structures, fixtures and appurtenances; bridges; heavy duty structural and mechanical equipment or HVAC and other systems.
- Performs restoration and renovation on facilities; bridges and/or historical buildings; builds partitions, shelving from sketches, plans or instructions, renovates furniture and equipment and may design layout to ensure most efficient use of space.
- Recommends referral of jobs beyond financial or capability limits to private contractors.
- Maintains and repairs compressor, pumps, hydraulic lifts, treatment and disposal plants and operates and maintains HVAC systems and complex plumbing projects.
- Operates and maintains life safety devices such as sprinkler systems.
- May oversee the work of skilled, semi-skilled maintenance, and laboring personnel in performing specific assignments or in a training situation.
- Maintains records of work performed, materials used and time spent on assignments and may secure through established procedures, materials and supplies.
- May perform highway lighting or drawbridge maintenance.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Mechanic III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in operating and maintaining a variety of equipment, hand and power tools used in trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Six months experience in performing work in a variety of trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Six months experience in record keeping.
- Knowledge of interpreting blueprints, schematics or technical drawings.
- Knowledge of estimating cost, time and materials for projects.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Additional Posting Information
Due to a new requirement from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) the following mandate is effective January 27, 2022: As a condition of employment, employees providing health care services and/or support services in covered facilities must show proof that they have received the dose of a single J&J dose or the 1st dose of Moderna/Pfizer two-dose vaccine effective date January 27, 2022, and proof of the single J&J dose or the 2nd dose of Moderna/Pfizer two-dose vaccine by February. 28, 2022. Employees may not provide any care, treatment, or other services until proof is provided. Based on CMS guidance, the date for compliance may extend into March due to the health care facilities high vaccination rate of staff. If you accept a position with the facility, your Human Resources representative can provide more guidance. The only exception to these requirements is for those employees granted medical or religious exemptions from the COVID-19 vaccine as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which may require weekly COVID-19 testing. This will be in effect until further notice. More information can be found here.
This posting may be closed on or before (12/21/2022) upon filling the vacant position(s).
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The State of Delaware participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information refer to our Job Seeker Resources
DHSS does not provide employment-based sponsorship.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Upon a conditional offer, the applicant must undergo a pre-employment base line two step tuberculin skin test (TST) as part of the hiring process.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization) that has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other applicable terms and conditions of employment, in accordance with Title 29, Chapter 59 and Title 19, Chapter 13 and 16. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement based on its individual terms.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at Delaware State Jobs
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance.
The State of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek out a workforce representative of Delaware including race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.