This position will serve a key role in the Department of Human Resources, Office of Diversity and Inclusion. The incumbent reports directly to the Division Director. The incumbent will be proactively involved in researching, developing, launching and managing key diversity and inclusion initiatives focused on creating a sustainable workplace environment and culture that drives employee recruitment, retention, fairness and equity. The incumbent will work closely across all agency HR partners and management to create vision, alignment, and relationships to assist with continuous progress with the State’s overall Diversity and Inclusion platform. Additionally, the incumbent will measure, track and analyze the effectiveness of Diversity and Inclusion initiatives and predict future trends and emerging techniques to include in diversity, inclusion and workplace environment efforts.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Interprets, explains and applies applicable state and federal laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Develops and recommends policies and procedures consistent with merit system laws, rules, regulations, priorities, objectives and new federal mandates.
- Develops and implements programs to ensure compliance with state and federal laws, the policies of the Office of Management and Budget and to meet operational needs of human resource functions.
- Collects, analyzes and evaluates data from a variety of sources and presents/communicates information effectively.
- Identifies and analyzes inquiries/problems/needs/issues, assesses their impact and generates and evaluates alternatives.
- Provides recommendations, guidance and direction to management for the purpose of understanding, meeting organizational and operational goals and objectives and identifying/resolving problems/needs.
- Implements human resource functions, policies, procedures, systems and plans.
- Provides representation at meetings, hearings, contract negotiations, presentations, proceedings, committees, etc.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with state and federal laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures, requirements, guidelines, contract agreements, budgets, etc.
- Conducts projects and studies.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Human Resources Specialist V
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Human Resource Management, Public Administration, Business Administration, Psychology, Sociology, Behavioral Science, Political Science or related field OR possession of a SPHR, PHR, IPMA-CP, IPMA-CS or equivalent professional human resource certification OR for current State employees, the Statewide Human Resources Certification.
- At least three years experience performing professional human resource activities in a human resource office such as Labor Relations, Employee Relations, Benefits, Job Classification, Compensation Analysis, Pension, Recruitment, Selection or EEO/AA.
- Three years experience in human resource management applying human resource theories, principles and models to the administration of at least one of the following functional areas: Labor/Employee Relations, Benefits, Job Classification, Compensation Analysis, Pension, Recruitment, Selection or EEO/AA.
- Three years experience in interpreting human resource laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Three years experience in developing human resource policies or procedures.
- Three years experience in developing solutions and providing recommendations, guidance and direction to management/officials in accomplishing organizational and operational goals and objectives and identifying and resolving issues.
- Knowledge of strategic planning such as planning and mapping a path between the present and future usually for three to five years by determining key objectives, how to accomplish the key objectives, what strategies should be used, what activities would contribute to accomplishing the key objectives and developing performance measures to gauge and report progress or success.
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The State of Delaware Executive Branch participates in the Federal E-Verify system where the State will provide the federal government with each new hires Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information refer to our job seeker resources.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.