This position conducts inspections to identify, assess and control environmental health hazards within: Food Service Establishments, Mobile Food Establishments and Temporary Food Establishments regulated by the Delaware Food Code, Public Swimming Pools, Recreational Camps, Migrant Field Worker Camps, Body Art Establishments and Ice Manufacturers. Duties: consulting about rules, regulations, procedures, results and reduction of health hazards, providing technical assistance, assisting in planning and reviewing new construction and renovations, enforcing compliance, investigating complaints.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Performs complex health risk assessment in one or more health project areas, using appropriate testing instruments and equipment. Performs routine and emergency sampling and testing of water and food.
- Provides consultation for owners of business or industry concerning applicable environmental regulations and assists in developing plans for abatement and compliance.
- Promotes a variety of environmental health issues to consumers, community organizations, State and Federal agencies and industry. May speak at public meetings.
- Trains co-workers and subordinates in area of specialty. Provides technical assistance as needed.
- Reviews past reports and submitted plans for alteration or construction of eating establishments to ensure completeness of application before it goes through entire plan review process.
- Enforces compliance of facilities requiring corrective action by reinspecting, writing violation letters and initiating legal action.
- Investigates consumer complaints and accidents involving hazardous substances. Initiates enforcement of laws and regulations.
- Writes routine reports. Keeps accurate logs and records.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Environmental Health Specialist II
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Life, Physical, or Health Science or related field.
- Six months experience in conducting on-site inspections to identify, assess and control actual or potential environmental health risks.
- Six months experience in enforcing compliance with laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.