Incumbent reports to an administrative supervisor and is responsible for carrying out assignments of a diverse and complex nature. A class incumbent is involved in maintaining areas such as fixtures, appurtenances, HVAC, heavy duty structural and mechanical equipment repair, and repair of structure and equipment, and/or restoration and maintenance of historical buildings. Concurrently, and incumbent my design layouts, read sketches/plans, renovate structure, and equipment to meet specific needs and recommends referral of jobs beyond financial or capacity limits to private contractors.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Performs preventative routine and complex maintenance repairs on interior and exterior building structures, fixtures and appurtenances; bridges; heavy duty structural and mechanical equipment or HVAC and other systems.
- Performs restoration and renovation on facilities; bridges and/or historical buildings; builds partitions, shelving from sketches, plans or instructions, renovates furniture and equipment and may design layout to ensure most efficient use of space.
- Recommends referral of jobs beyond financial or capability limits to private contractors.
- Maintains and repairs compressor, pumps, hydraulic lifts, treatment and disposal plants and operates and maintains HVAC systems and complex plumbing projects.
- Operates and maintains life safety devices such as sprinkler systems.
- May oversee the work of skilled, semi-skilled maintenance, and laboring personnel in performing specific assignments or in a training situation.
- Maintains records of work performed, materials used and time spent on assignments and may secure through established procedures, materials and supplies.
- May perform highway lighting or drawbridge maintenance.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Mechanic III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in operating and maintaining a variety of equipment, hand and power tools used in trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Six months experience in performing work in a variety of trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Six months experience in record keeping.
- Knowledge of interpreting blueprints, schematics or technical drawings.
- Knowledge of estimating cost, time and materials for projects.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Additional Posting Information
This posting may be closed on or before 07/11/2022 upon filling the vacant position(s).
Conditions of Hire
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The State of Delaware Executive Branch participates in the Federal E-Verify system where the State will provide the federal government with each new hires Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information refer to our job seeker resources
Functional Capability Evaluation: Upon a conditional offer, you must take a Functional Capability Evaluation to assess your strength and agility to meet the physical requirements of the position.
All applicants must read the detailed physical requirements for this position which is located at http://www.delawarestatejobs.com/explore/fce.shtml and the file is named Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Mechanic I, II, III & Physical Plant Maintenance Technician - OMB - Division of Facilities Management PDF.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at Delaware State Jobs.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance.
The State of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity employer and values a diverse workforce. We strongly encourage and seek out a workforce representative of Delaware including race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.