The incumbent for this position will operate in the area of Forensic Toxicology. The incumbent reports to the Lab Manager I/Forensic Science Supervisor. Responsibilities include: analysis of complex biological matrices for both postmortem and DUI cases; processing and review of batch paperwork; operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of analytical equipment and instrumentation such as GC-FID, GC-MS, ELISA, and LC-MS/MS; preparation of standards and reagents; and providing testimony in court.
Upon satisfactory completion of department promotional standards and job requirements, employees may be eligible to be promoted to the next level.
Selective Requirements must be met in addition to the job requirements. Applicants who do not possess the selective requirement will not be qualified.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Forensic Science, or a closely related science.
Applicants who do not possess the preferred qualification will still be eligible to compete for this position if job requirements are met.
- Six months experience in toxicology.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Prepares samples for instrument analysis, interprets instrument recordings and documents test results.
- Uses analytical chemistry techniques including state-of-the-art instrumentation to gather data involving samples.
- Analyzes laboratory data to determine quantity and quality of toxins, pathogens, chemical and biochemical constituents.
- Prepares reports identifying samples, explains testing methods and documents findings and conclusions of analysis.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Analytical Chemist II
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in generating and interpreting chemical test data by performing quantitative and qualitative statistical analysis.
- Six months experience in selecting laboratory test methods and procedures.
- Six months experience in physical, organic, inorganic or analytical chemistry.
- Six months experience in using laboratory equipment and instrumentation including calibration and maintenance.
- Six months experience in technical report writing.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.