This class is involved in administration work planning, developing and directing the maintenance of State property, providing technical assistance to staff and other administrators, and managing the activities of administrative and supervisory personnel.
- Position has overall responsibility for facilities, grounds and custodial operations for a State agency.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Coordinates work with other administrative personnel to resolve system, security, maintenance, personnel, fiscal, budget and organizational problems.
- Inspects, determines and recommends course of action to be taken on construction and renovation of State owned and leased facilities in a regional area.
- Arranges, creates concepts and reviews facilities support systems capital project plans.
- Establishes procedures for maintenance, security, grounds and custodial operations; analyzes, recommends and implements policies and procedures as needed.
- Directs personnel activities involving hiring, promoting, evaluating, disciplining and settling personnel issues and grievances.
- Coordinates budgetary issues with managers, projects future needs, makes recommendations and provides data and information to the Division Director or Cabinet Secretary as required.
- Develops contractual security, housekeeping, maintenance programs, inspects and recommends future contractual needs to various buildings and reviews service reports and inspections.
- Maintains records and prepares reports, projections, forecasts, and fiscal analysis.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Chief of Maintenance Operations
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in planning, directing and implementing maintenance and preventative maintenance programs involving all aspects of trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, electrical, painting or HVAC.
- Three years experience in estimating cost, time and materials for projects.
- Three years experience in interpreting safety and building codes, laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Six months experience in interpreting blueprints, schematics or technical drawings.
- Six months experience in operations management which includes planning, directing, coordinating, controlling and evaluating operations typically through subordinate supervisors.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.