The incumbent in this position supports portable dental operations and community engagement in New Castle County and other counties as needed. Duties include: dental records management, transcribing, data entry in electronic medical records and electronic dental records using Dentrix, planning, preparing and coordinating programs, educating patients, supply management, case management, infection control, billing, scheduling, confirming, treatment room preparation, document review, taking blood pressure, Body Mass Index (BMI) and 4-handed dentistry.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Assists dentist and/or dental hygienist during chairside procedures such as operative, preventive, periodontal, endodontic, prosthetic, limited orthodontics, and oral surgery.
- Keeps oral areas clean during dental procedures by using retraction, suction, and irrigation.
- Prepares and assists with placement of dental materials.
- Takes and develops radiographs.
- Disinfects environmental surfaces of the operatory which includes sterilization of instruments and equipment in accordance with federal, state, and institutional standards for infection control and safety.
- Organizes, maintains and sets-up dental instruments and equipment.
- Provides patient or parent education and oral hygiene instructions such as tooth brushing and flossing under direction of dentist and/or dental hygienist.
- Greets patients and answers telephones. Coordinates scheduling for patient's appointments, ensuring a full schedule of patients and reducing missed appointments.
- Maintains patient records by entering, updating, modifying and retrieving client information into an established information system. Confirms Medicaid eligibility.
- Maintains inventory and orders supplies for the clinic's operation.
- May assist in training dental assistant trainees and volunteers.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Dental Assistant
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Delaware Dental Radiation Technician Certification or a Dental Radiation Technologist Certification from the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).
Additional Posting Information
This posting may be closed on or before June 2, 2020, upon filling the vacant position.
Conditions of Hire
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.