Open to State of DE Dept. of Transportation Merit Employees Only
This is a statewide position responsible for managing the State's Roadside Control and Outdoor Advertising Programs and associated staff. The applicant will demonstrate experience in interpreting, applying and enforcing State and Federal Laws such as DE. Title 17 Chapter 11, Regulation of Outdoor Advertising, and the Federal Highway Beautification Act. Applicants will indicate experience in drafting, reviewing and testifying related to regulations and legislation that may be promulgated. Applicants will demonstrate experience in staff supervision and have good communication skills.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Inspects infrastructures to ensure compliance with design plans, materials specifications, safety requirements, construction processes, local, state and federal codes and on going maintenance requirements; documents/reports compliance or deficiencies.
- Designs/develops/reviews engineering project/site layouts, alignments, profiles, studies, graphs and other related activities.
- Compiles and records notes, sketches, test results, inspection data and other information to document compliance and/or develop designs, specifications, reports, maps and other geographically based data.
- Conducts various studies to be used by others to analyze needs/develop plans, record characteristics and other related activities.
- Conducts data analysis to determine accuracy of data collected, develop recommendations, develop corrective designs and/or ensure compliance.
- Tests/evaluates the quality of materials or designs to verify adherence to contracts and specifications.
- Obtains survey data, such as angles, elevations, points, and contours, using electronic distance measuring equipment and other surveying instruments.
- Calculates/measures area and volume dimensions, horizontal and vertical geometry, profile and component specifications, and material testing dimensions using calculators or computers.
- Operates computer assisted drafting equipment or other tools of the trade.
- Reads and interprets plans, specification, blueprints and other engineering documents.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Engineering/Planning/Surveying Technician V
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
Three years experience in reviewing construction plans and details, project plans, specifications, schematics or technical drawings to determine compliance.
Three years experience in planning, organizing and directing crews involved in on-site sampling, testing, inspection and documentation of construction progress and project completion.
Three years experience in project management which includes planning, developing, implementing, managing and evaluating projects to ensure objectives are met.
Three years experience in using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
Six months experience in staff supervision which includes planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Additional Posting Information
Applicants may only apply if they are current permanent employees of the State of Delaware Department of Transportation in a position covered by the Merit System who have completed their initial probationary period.
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. DelDOT does not provide employment-based sponsorship.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.