This class is responsible for expediting the processing of court petitions filed with Family Court by performing mediation and/or arbitration of civil and criminal cases.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Interviews petitioner to assess nature of complaint, relief sought and explain procedures for filing petition.
- Conducts mediation session with petitioner and respondent to define issues, assess relief sought and negotiate mutually acceptable terms; prepares consent orders stating conditions of agreement and submits to judge for an approval.
- Acts as hearing officer for delinquent/criminal complaints; conducts fact finding session with parties involved and imposes appropriate conditions to provide for restitution and prevent repeated offenses; follows up with parties involved to insure compliance with court order.
- Mediates emergency petitions to obtain temporary agreement; prepares report to judge when agreement can't be reached describing issues, parties' positions and recommendations for appropriate action.
- Conducts custody, visitation and special investigations as directed by judge; obtains and evaluates background information on social, psychological, emotional and family stability; prepares report with findings and recommendations and disposition of case.
- Prepares and maintains accurate statistical records of number, type and disposition of cases.
- Provides information on court functions and jurisdiction and assistance to clients by community referral.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Mediation/Arbitration Officer
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Behavioral Science or Social Science or related field.
- Six months experience in case management which includes assessing, planning, developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating options and services to meet an individuals human service needs.
- Six months experience in interviewing using structured or unstructured interview techniques to obtain facts, explore issues and identify courses of action.
- Six months experience in interpreting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of mediation or arbitration.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.