This is the lead level or senior/advanced level of telecommunications technology planning, designing, configuring, & installing mid-range or most complex data networks infrastructure, evolution, and migrations to next-generation networks. Serves as the top-level individual (non-managerial) expert who will use their level of expertise in network system analysis, design, and administration. Utilizes the latest versions of Windows server/desktop OS systems, VMware, & Cisco networking software. After hours and on-call work as needed. Planned IT centralization may change work location.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Plans, designs and implements new/upgraded data networks to include determination of telecommunications needed such as: types of transmission lines, required speed of lines. Performs or reviews measurements to determine needed bandwidth, location and number of circuits (SMDS) and hardware capacity. Forecast business application needs. Determines and plans: route of multiple protocols, traffic schedules, deployment of upgrades and new installations, etc. Supervises the installation/maintenance of switch rooms, networks, interface and multiplexing equipment, port connections, transmission lines and other telecommunications equipment.
- Projects future business needs and develops strategic business plan for expansion and installation of data network and telecommunications infrastructure using state of the art, leading edge multi-technology disciplines. Make recommendations for short and long term telecommunications capacity, configuration and other planning to meet agency business needs.
- Researches and investigates emerging and leading edge technologies; assesses applicability to business demands and problems and works with the State Office of Telecommunications Management for major network redesigns. Researches and defines agency network design requirements including security, cost/benefit, operational parameters, integration with existing systems and resource utilization. Assesses network impact, load balances and performs other tuning work to ensure efficient and effective utilization of network resources.
- Plans and implements redundancy. Plans and provides migration methodology to future or next generation network technologies in ways that meet business needs.
- Develop tactical and strategic planning strategies for data networks to ensure network capacity meets current and future requirements. Uses appropriate tools such as network application programs that produce traffic utilization reports, etc.
- Investigates, analyzes, designs, recommends and implements upgrades using an evaluation of the feasibility, compatibility, performance, and cost effectiveness of potential system configurations and vendors.
- Develops the network infrastructure plan. Assesses current network to determine hardware and software requirements, designs routine technical specifications for procurement of new equipment, develops cost estimates for construction and renovation projects. Evaluates potential designs for feasibility and cost effectiveness; presents project plans and recommendations to management as required to ensure business needs are met.
- Oversees and coordinates the work of technical staff in the absence of technical supervision or on a project basis or as assigned by management.
Note: This classification can support only the large scale, most complex data networks and some of the agencies employing mid-range data networks.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Telecommunications/Network Technologist III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- At least two years experience in planning, designing and installing data networks for telecommunication needs such as bandwidth, multiple protocols, transmission lines, interface and multiplexing equipment, port connections, control packets and other equipment.
- Six months experience in information technology project management which includes planning, scheduling, staffing, coordinating, controlling, monitoring, evaluating and reporting on status of IT projects.
- Knowledge of developing strategic business plans for the expansion and installation of data network and telecommunications infrastructure including an evaluation of the feasibility, compatibility and cost effectiveness.
Conditions of Hire
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.