The incumbent in this position will supervise senior cooks, cooks, and other food service staff in the preparation and service of the patients’ meals. This includes hiring, training, assigning duties, scheduling and evaluating staff. Work includes: assisting in the planning of menus; ensuring compliance with special dietetic meal preparations; maintaining inventory; ensuring adequate supplies for the daily menu requirements; maintaining assignment, temperature, and sanitation sheets; ensuring the maintenance and cleaning of kitchen equipment is in compliance with laws, rules and regulations and other duties as assigned. Hours for this position will vary between the hours of 5:30am -6:30pm, according to Dietary Department needs of the 24/7 hospital facility.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Applies food service principles, practices and methods governing food preparation activities such as food handling, proper storage and temperature control, cleaning of kitchen equipment and utensils to comply with safety and sanitary standards.
- Complies with applicable state and federal rules and regulations.
- Operates various commercial kitchen equipment such as dishwashers, ovens, toasters, meat slicers, choppers, deep fryers, food processors, steam pots, blenders, and mixers.
- Prepares and cooks a variety of food items by baking, frying, and broiling, gathering and measuring ingredients according to standardized menus/recipes and dietetic guidelines.
- May prepare requisitions for food items and other needed supplies.
- Attends Department approved training programs.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Cook Supervisor
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in institutional or commercial cooking and baking.
- Three years experience in proper safety, storage and sanitation standards for food items.
- Six months experience in record keeping.
- Knowledge of inventory control such as ordering, receiving, tracking, storing and handling inventory; disbursing materials, supplies and equipment.
- Knowledge of staff supervision acquired through course work, academic training, training provided through an employer, or performing as a lead worker overseeing the work of others; OR supervising staff which may include planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others; OR supervising through subordinate supervisors a group of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.