The primary function of the Office Manager is to support the GSS Director and Deputy Director. In addition, the GSS Office Manager oversees day-to-day operations and keeps the office running smoothly. This includes coordinating services for the facility such as waste removal, janitorial services, and the alarm system. It also includes general oversight of administrative specialist colleagues.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding operating practices and procedures to include personnel, workflow, cost reduction recordkeeping, performance standards, equipment and supply utilization, to ensure smooth and efficient office operation. Implements new and revised procedures.
Supervises, directly or through subordinate lead personnel, the agencies support staff; interviews job applicants and makes hiring recommendations; trains new employees; plans, assigns, and evaluates the work of subordinates; counsels and disciplines subordinate employees.
Directs support services which include most of the following: fleet management, forms/records management, facilities management, inventory, contracting and purchasing, equipment maintenance and repair, mail distribution and messenger services, office typing support and telephone coverage.
May act as principal assistant to the superior in a variety of operational areas which may include: disseminating directives, preparing required reports, assisting in budget preparation and development by maintaining records and/or compiling data; performing special projects studies including needs assessments; obtaining, organizing and drafting administrative material for public information or office use; acting as liaison with vendors, state/federal representative, the public, etc.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Office Manager
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in coordinating administrative support operations, tracking workflow and resolving problems, providing guidance and consultation to management, customers and others on administrative matters.
- Three years experience in conducting research from multiple sources, analyzing data collected and preparing reports, letters and administrative documents.
- One year experience in using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
- One year experience in using standard computer software programs for word processing, spreadsheets or databases.
- Knowledge of staff supervision acquired through course work, academic training, training provided through an employer, or performing as a lead worker overseeing the work of others; OR supervising staff which may include planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others; OR supervising through subordinate supervisors a group of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.