This position is responsible for monitoring grant expenditures and preparing the federal financial reports; managing federal fund reimbursements to various federal agencies; reporting and reconciling payroll and allocating payroll charges to grants and special-fund projects; reviewing and monitoring federal grant application, and preparing audit schedule, if necessary.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
Analyzes, reconciles and consolidates vouchers, records, journals, ledgers and statements.
Monitors expenditures to ensure compliance with budgetary recommendations.
Reviews financial transactions and codes for conformance to standard procedures and accounts.
Compiles, analyzes and prepares a variety of statements and reports for state, special, private or federal funded programs for use in financial, budget and personnel planning.
Develops cost projections based on past records and anticipated activities and makes fiscally sound recommendations.
Applies standardized accounting principles and practices.
Reviews internal accounting policies and procedures and makes recommendations for revisions.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Senior Accountant
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in accounting using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Six months experience in compiling, analyzing and interpreting financial data to ensure effective and efficient accounting of funds or to make projections for financial planning.
- Six months experience in creating financial reports which includes combining and presenting financial data from multiple sources in an organized format.
- Six months experience in interpreting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Six months experience in using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
- Knowledge of staff supervision acquired through course work, academic training, training provided through an employer, or performing as a lead worker overseeing the work of others; OR supervising staff which may include planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others; OR supervising through subordinate supervisors a group of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
Additional Posting Information
Merit Only: Current State of Delaware employees in a position covered by the Merit System and who have completed their initial probationary period.
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. DNREC does not provide sponsorship for holders of H-1 B Visas.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.