This describes advanced level work.
Selective Requirements must be met in addition to the job requirements. Applicants who do not possess the selective requirement will not be qualified.
- Honorably Discharged Veteran. A legible copy of Form DD214 must be faxed to Department of Human Resources (DHR) at (302) 739-2327 by close of business the next work day after the closing date on the posting. Veterans requiring additional information regarding DD214's may contact Veteran's Affairs at www.va.gov or by calling their office toll free at 1-800-827-1000.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Applies conservation and preservation principles and practices in support of the management of the state's natural resources which includes such activities as propagating, seeding, transplanting, cultivating, harvesting and care of trees, flowers, shrubs, lawns and crops to include turf/grounds management, pest management, herbicide/fertilizer application, layout and design, assessment of soil composition and environmental conditions.
- Performs maintenance and repairs in a variety of labor/trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting, welding, construction, grounds maintenance and assists higher level personnel on large scale projects.
- Operates marine, land-based and construction equipment and vehicles.
- Maintains and repairs a variety of equipment/vehicles.
- Provides information to the public as requested or responds to inquiries regarding agency initiatives/programs.
- Ensures the safe usage of state owned, managed, and/or maintained grounds and facilities by the public.
- Completes standard forms/applications; maintains records and reports detailing daily activity, tool and equipment inventory, fuel and service logs and related activities.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Conservation Technician III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
Three years experience in operating and maintaining motor vehicles, landscaping and groundskeeping equipment and hand tools.
Six months experience in plant life, horticulture or arboriculture such as plant growth, pest or disease control, groundskeeping or landscaping.
Six months experience in record keeping.
Six months experience in inventory control which includes ordering, receiving, tracking, storing and handling inventory; disbursing materials, supplies and equipment.
Knowledge of staff supervision acquired through course work, academic training, training provided through an employer, or performing as a lead worker overseeing the work of others; OR supervising staff which may include planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others; OR supervising through subordinate supervisors a group of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Additional Posting Information
Secretary of State: Reminder: Merit Rule 8.4 states 'Veterans and disabled veterans, as defined or their unremarried widows or widowers, shall receive five (5) additional and ten (10) additional points respectively upon successful completion of an examination for initial appointment to State employment only. As currently required and stated on the State of Delaware job application, if you are claiming preference as a Veteran or unremarried widow or widower of a deceased Veteran, attach a copy of your DD 214 form. If you are also claiming preference as a disabled Veteran or unremarried widow or widower of a disabled Veteran, include your VA disability letter and claim number. Veterans requiring additional information regarding DD 214's or eligibility may contact Veterans Affairs at www.veteransaffairs.delaware.gov
or by contacting their office toll free at 1-800-344-9900.
Conditions of Hire
Functional Capability Evaluation: Upon a conditional offer, you must take a Functional Capability Evaluation to assess your strength and agility to meet the physical requirements of the position.
All applicants must read the detailed physical requirements for this position which is located at http://www.delawarestatejobs.com/explore/fce.shtml and the file is named (Conservation Tech I-III - DOS - Veteran's Affairs/Veteran's Cemeteries. ).
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.