A class incumbent performs at the advanced level and carries out preventative maintenance, electrical work, HVAC maintenance and repair, and/or restoration activities in one or more of the traditional trades fields on structures, systems and equipment to help ensure efficient operation of a physical plant.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Performs preventative, routine and complex maintenance repairs on interior and exterior building structures, fixtures and appurtenances; bridges; heavy duty structural and mechanical equipment or HVAC and other systems.
- Performs electrical work, which includes modifying electrical service and maintaining and repairing electrical systems.
- Performs restoration and renovation on facilities; bridges and/or historical buildings; builds partitions, shelving from sketches, plans or instructions, renovates furniture and equipment and may design layout to ensure most efficient use of space.
- Recommends referral of jobs beyond financial or capability limits to private contractors.
- Maintains and repairs compressor, pumps, hydraulic lifts, treatment and disposal plants and operates and maintains HVAC systems, complex electrical and plumbing projects.
- Operates and maintains life safety devices such as auxiliary generators, sprinkler systems and emergency lighting.
- May oversee the work of skilled, semi-skilled maintenance, and laboring personnel in performing specific assignments or in a training situation.
- Maintains records of work performed, materials used and time spent on assignments and may secure through established procedures, materials and supplies.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Technician
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Delaware Journeyperson or higher Electrician license OR possession of a Journeyperson or higher Electrician license from another state which meets Delaware license requirements or equivalent requirements as determined by the State Board of Electrical Examiners.
- Six months experience in performing work in a variety of trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Six months experience in record keeping.
- Knowledge of interpreting blueprints, schematics or technical drawings.
- Knowledge of estimating cost, time and materials for projects.
Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Additional Posting Information
This posting may be closed on or before March 8, 2020 upon filling the vacant position.
Conditions of Hire
Functional Capability Evaluation: Upon a conditional offer, you must take a Functional Capability Evaluation to assess your strength and agility to meet the physical requirements of the position. All applicants must read the detailed physical requirements for this position which is located at http://www.delawarestatejobs.com/explore/fce.shtml and the file is named (Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Technician).
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.