The incumbent in this position determines initial and continued ongoing eligibility for the following needs based benefits issued by the Division: Food Supplement Benefits (SNAP), Medical Assistance, Delaware Healthy Children's Program (CHIP), and Subsidized Child Care. In addition, the incumbent will make referrals to other agencies such as Child Support, Children and Family Services and food closets to assist clients in obtaining benefits DSS does not provide, such as Child Support, foreclosure assistance, or food closets.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Interviews applicants, family members and others to determine eligibility for assistance and/or hospital admission.
- Develops a plan to aid and assist applicant to receive care and assistance needed in collaboration with hospitals, clinics, agencies and other appropriate resources.
- Evaluates information derived from applicant interviews, counseling sessions, case history and other pertinent sources and refers to proper channels for review.
- Provides counseling to clients and families prior to receiving requested service and assistance.
- Coordinates with other agencies, hospitals, clinics, and resources to expedite the process on behalf of applicant.
- Prepares case histories, reports, maintains records and chronological logs of case activities.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Social Worker/Case Manager
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of an Associates degree or higher in Behavioral or Social Science or related field.
- Three years experience in health or human services support such as interviewing clients and assessing personal, health, social or financial needs in accordance with program requirements or coordinating with community resources to obtain client services.
- Six months experience in making recommendations as part of a client's service plan such as clinical treatment, counseling, or determining eligibility for health or human services/benefits.
- Six months experience in using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
Conditions of Hire
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.