The incumbent in this position is responsible for installing, monitoring, modifying and maintaining complex operating systems and software platforms required for the efficient operation of enterprise information technology architecture. The incumbent is also responsible for the development and implementation of associated procedures and policies. This position supports the Eligibility Modernization System.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Installs, maintains, modifies, diagnoses and debugs the software which controls an enterprise computing environment, including the operating system, databases, telecommunications and security functions.
- Identifies degradation of system performance and takes corrective action to bring performance in line with established benchmarks.
- Develops, implements and monitors policies and procedures associated with enterprise information technology architecture and monitors levels of compliance.
- Plans for projected software requirements and increased hardware and storage capacity.
- Acts as team lead with other technical staff to resolve database and operating system software problems by assigning and reviewing work and providing training, technical assistance and guidance.
- Provides technical consulting services on an intra and inter agency basis.
- Analyzes application programs, database routines and web service calls for efficient operation.
- Evaluates hardware and software and makes recommendations for purchase.
- Writes reports such as monthly progress, product performance, status, response time, capacity, etc.
- May be responsible for insuring the creation of back-up data and archival storage.
- May be responsible for data processing security, employing encryption and audit functions.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Senior Systems Software Specialist
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in planning, configuring, and administering enterprise computer system software, hardware and related components which includes performance optimization, utilization and monitoring; information security; and component connectivity.
- Three years experience in planning and implementing infrastructure upgrades for enterprise computer system software and database management systems.
- Three years experience in information systems analysis and design.
- Three years experience in developing information technology policies or procedures.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.