The Delaware Emergency Management Agency (DEMA) is the lead agency for coordination of emergency preparedness, training, response, recovery and mitigation. The incumbent provides routine and preventative maintenance and emergency support for the State Emergency Operations Center (EOC) as well as related tasks and activities. DEMA personnel are considered essential State employees that need to be available 24/7 for emergency activations (weather events, large incidents, etc).
Upon satisfactory completion of department promotional standards and job requirements, employees may be eligible to be promoted to the next level.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Renovates equipment, builds partitions, furniture and structures to extend usage and/or meet specific needs.
- Performs maintenance in one or more trade fields including plumbing, carpentry, painting and assists in complex or large-scale projects.
- Inspects facilities, makes basic repairs to systems, structures and equipment and is engaged in preventative maintenance program.
- Inspects, maintains and repairs HVAC operation, water supply, pumps, wells, sanitary systems, compressors, treatment and disposal plants.
- May perform maintenance and preventative maintenance of vehicles and operate heavy equipment.
- Maintains records of materials, jobs, and other pertinent information.
- May perform highway lighting or drawbridge maintenance.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Physical Plant Maintenance/Trades Mechanic II
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in operating and maintaining a variety of equipment, hand and power tools used in trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Six months experience in performing work in a variety of trades fields such as plumbing, carpentry, painting or HVAC.
- Knowledge of interpreting blueprints, schematics or technical drawings.
- Knowledge of record keeping.
Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory fingerprint based criminal background check administered by the Delaware State Police is required as a Condition of Hire.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.