The incumbent in this position will be responsible for maintaining the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, physical plant and critical building infrastructure to ensure the facilities are available 24/7 in New Castle County. The incumbent will address any temperature/climate issues as they arise and provide emergency, routine and preventive maintenance services for a variety of cooling and heating equipment associated with the facilities.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Identifies and diagnoses malfunctioning systems to include air conditioning, refrigeration, ventilation, boilers, heat pumps, environmental units and related electrical components. Repairs and replaces systems to comply with federal, State, ASHRAE standards and the National Electrical Code.
- Conducts preventative maintenance on complex HVAC/R systems and determines the need for repair and /or replacement of system components to include mechanical, electrical and/or fluid.
- Oversees the work of certified/skilled mechanics or HVAC/R apprentices in the performance of maintenance, repair and servicing of HVAC/R equipment.
- Diagrams mechanical, electrical and structural modifications to heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, electrical and pneumatic control systems.
- Interprets various diagrams, blue prints and layouts.
- Identifies and recommends the use of contractors when resources are limited.
- Estimates time and materials required to complete a variety of repair and replacement projects.
- Maintains records of work performed, materials used, time spent on assignments, and refrigerant used logs in accordance with established procedures and federal law.
- Operates various electrical meters and testers, humidity recorders, leak testing equipment, refrigeration gauges, temperature recorders, torches, recovery units, vacuum pumps and micron meter and related testing and repair devices.
- Requisitions supplies, materials and labor.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for HVAC/Refrigeration Technician
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
Possession of Delaware Master HVACR or Master HVACR Restricted license OR possession of a Master HVACR or Master HVACR Restricted license from another state which meets Delaware license requirements or equivalent requirements as determined by the State Board of Plumbing, Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Examiners.
Possession of a Universal CFC certification.
Six months experience in HVAC/R installation, troubleshooting, and repair.
Six months experience in estimating cost, time and materials for projects.
Knowledge of interpreting blueprints and schematics.
Knowledge of staff supervision acquired through course work, academic training, training provided through an employer, or performing as a lead worker overseeing the work of others; OR supervising staff which may include planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others; OR supervising through subordinate supervisors a group of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Additional Posting Information
This posting may be closed on or before 11/13/2018 upon filling the vacant position.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Upon a conditional offer, the applicant must undergo a pre-employment base line two step tuberculin skin test (TST) as part of the hiring process.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.