This classification is a Delaware Certified Police Officer with a primary responsibility of acting as a community outreach officer by operating and serving as an instructor with the Division's mobile DUI and Distracted Driving Simulator at public events and venues throughout the state. The classification will also responsible for assisting with conducting complex civil and criminal investigations and enforcing the liquor and criminal statutes of the State.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Ensures exhaustive follow-up investigation of all evidence, tips and sources of information.
- Ensures appropriate inclusion and coordination between multiple agencies.
- Conducts Statewide Beverage Server Training classes, administers tests and issues server identification cards.
- Conducts civil and criminal investigations including complex investigations such as hidden ownership, three-tier system violations, etc.
- Conducts sting operations.
- Conducts inspections of liquor establishments and warehouse inventory audits.
- Participates in overseeing/field training lower level agents. Provides input to Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement Field Supervisor on agent's performance.
- Makes arrests, completes investigative and compliance reports to include crime reports that are submitted to the State Bureau of Identification; reports bay be used in court cases; prosecutes cases in court and before the Alcohol and Tobacco Enforcement Commission.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Alcohol & Tobacco Enforcement Agent III
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a State of Delaware Council on Police Training Certificate.
- At least two years experience as a Certified Police Officer.
- Three years experience in conducting investigations which includes conducting interviews to obtain confidential information, gathering evidence and documenting findings.
- Three years experience in ensuring compliance with alcohol and tobacco laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of staff training.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.