The class is responsible for assisting maintenance area supervisors in overseeing and coordinating highway maintenance activities within an assigned geographical area. This position must be available to work overtime as needed, and during storm events and other emergency events on short notice and in some cases no advance notice.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Provides input and assistance to supervisor in the development of daily work and project plans and schedules for routine, emergency and/or preventative highway maintenance, repair and drainage projects.
- Monitors work crew activities to ensure work is completed according to plans and within established time frames. Provides technical direction and guidance to crews. Reassigns workers and equipment, as necessary. Monitors and inspects work performed by contractors.
- Prepares a variety of reports and cost estimates for use in monitoring, controlling and budgeting programs/projects.
- Receives, investigates, and provides responses to complaints pertaining to a wide variety of highway maintenance, traffic, and drainage issues and concerns. Recommends and/or takes corrective action.
- Evaluates condition and/or performance of motorized and non-motorized equipment. Makes recommendations to supervisor regarding equipment maintenance and acquisition.
- Operates a computer to input and/or retrieve information about work orders, man hours, materials inventory, fleet inventory, parts inventory and road infrastructure information for use in planning and prioritizing work orders and maintenance and repair projects.
- Assists supervisor in ensuring compliance with all applicable State and Federal rules, regulations, policies, programs and procedures including, but not limited to, the equipment operator training and certification program, new employee safety training program, State of Delaware Drug and Alcohol Abuse Policy, and the State of Delaware Community Right to Know Act.
- Provides information to supervisor regarding worker performance. May counsel or reprimand workers.
- Provides information and support for the emergency response teams, law enforcement agencies, and other agencies in cases of natural or man-made disaster, traffic accidents, spills, etc.
- Maintains area operations during absence of supervisor.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Assistant Area Supervisor
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in highway repair and maintenance such as drainage system repair, roadside maintenance, repair of pavement, or right of way.
- Six months experience in preventative maintenance on vehicles and equipment which includes lubricating, cleaning, and servicing.
- Knowledge of interpreting highway construction/maintenance laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of staff supervision acquired through course work, academic training, training provided through an employer, or performing as a lead worker overseeing the work of others; OR supervising staff which may include planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others; OR supervising through subordinate supervisors a group of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. The State of Delaware participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information refer to our Job Seeker Resources. DelDOT does not provide employment-based sponsorship.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.