The incumbent serves as an agency liaison interacting with laboratory users as well as various state and federal agency representatives. Duties: reviewing laboratory capacities, capabilities, ongoing projects, quality of analytical data, pipeline development and the stability of completed work, be in contact with professionals of various disciplines such as medical, nursing, medical practitioners, bioinformatics engineers, life and physical science experts and other technical personnel, as necessary.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Plans, organizes and supervises professional and technical staff.
- Sets priorities and mediates conflicting priorities; schedules and operates laboratory functions, ensuring cost effective and accurate results.
- Develops, recommends and implements laboratory objectives and policies; oversees and participates in the development of modified/new methods, techniques and procedures.
- Assigns, oversees and reviews analytical work conducted by staff.
- Ensures all work is completed according to various state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Prepares activity and/or statistical reports.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Laboratory Manager II
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Life or Physical Science or related field.
- Three years experience in using laboratory equipment and instrumentation including calibration and maintenance.
- Three years experience in conducting data review to ensure numerical input, calculations, formulas and interpretation of output is accurate, instruments were operating according to specifications, analytical procedures were followed and documentation is complete.
- Three years experience in selecting and modifying laboratory test methods and procedures.
- Six months experience in laboratory management which includes overseeing and directing the development, implementation and evaluation of laboratory services; planning short and long range goals and objectives; developing and implementing policies and procedures and ensuring compliance with laboratory regulations, standards, policies and procedures. Provides advice to other agency organizational units through consultation.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
- Six months experience in staff supervision which includes planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.