This class is responsible for performing a full range of database implementation and management functions for enterprise information systems.
Applicants who do not possess the preferred qualification will still be eligible to compete for this position if job requirements are met.
- Six months experience working in the Salesforce Platform.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Monitors, coordinates and manages the selection, physical design, development, security, operation, processing, performance and maintenance of relational and/or other database, data storage and retrieval systems.
- Coordinates and ensures database management systems interface with other information technology for sharing of data. Meets with customers to determine database requirements.
- Develops database standards, documentation, security and authorization procedures.
- Develops physical database and data warehouse/data mart designs and ensures appropriate modifications to databases; establishes databases; creates primary database storage structures (tablespaces/files, views and indices) based on estimated storage requirements. Modifies physical database objects/structures to reflect changes to the data model.
- Establishes backup and recovery or replication plans to minimize data loss and system downtime.
- Monitors and troubleshoots databases for potential or existing performance or security, problems, capacity requirements and makes modifications/adjustments to ensure availability of data.
- Installs, monitors, diagnoses and debugs the database system software. Plans for projected software requirements and increased computer capacity relating to database requirements. Prepares plans for feasibility of conversion to database management systems from existing file structures.
- Keeps current on new developments and techniques in data storage and database management. Identifies and evaluates the use of new and emerging tools, methods and technologies to improve database management, and data storage. Establishes and maintains contact with vendors and recommends database software and services.
- May plan, assign, review and evaluate the work of two or more merit and/or contractual staff involved in database implementation and management.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Database Administrator II
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in data resource management which includes systems analysis, design, and implementation.
- Three years experience in designing, maintaining, analyzing and implementing database management systems which includes systems performance tuning, maintaining backup/recovery systems, using system tools to identify, correct or refer system issues such as system space management and database integrity.
- Three years experience in applying database query languages such as using MS SQL Server, Sybase, DB2, Informix, Oracle, ADABAS, PL/SQL and other Oracle Based Tools.
- Six months experience in database security which includes developing internal database security mechanisms and defining user requirements.
- Six months experience in managing database management systems which includes installing upgrades, planning for future expansion, systems architecture, systems maintenance and integrating systems across operating units.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.