This position for the Division of Climate, Coastal and Energy in Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) will be tasked with gathering and presenting information related to the Division's mission and promoting all our programs to clients, community groups, and other state agencies and the general public.
Applicants who do not possess the preferred qualification will still be eligible to compete for this position if job requirements are met.
- Six months experience in promoting Federal, State or Local climate change, energy efficiency, renewable energy sustainability or coastal zone programs.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Gathers, organizes, and formats information related to an agency's goals, objectives and services.
- Promotes an agency's image consistent with the overall direction of the agency.
- Coordinates timely and accurate responses and information to citizens, community groups or governmental agencies.
- Encourages participation in the use of agency services.
- Coordinates and conducts public meetings, media events or educational programs.
- Ensures a mutual sharing of information with other agencies, media and the general public.
- May supervise staff.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Community Relations Officer
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in public relations or media relations to establish and promote a positive image and inform or influence specific audiences through the use of internal and external communications such as public forums, print or electronic media, speech writing, writing/editing, marketing, advertising, or special events.
- Six months experience in gathering, organizing, formatting, translating, or interpreting information into forms more easily understood by the media or public, and disseminating the information through the use of print, broadcast or electronic media.
- Six months experience in public speaking which includes gathering, preparing and presenting information to the public or media groups.
- Six months experience in developing, planning and directing public events, campaigns, programs, or services to meet community needs.
- Knowledge of developing policies, procedures or programs for dissemination of information to the public or media groups.
Additional Posting Information
Writing Exercise: A writing exercise will be given at the time of interview.
Conditions of Hire
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States. DNREC does not provide sponsorship for holders of H-1 B Visas.
As a condition of hire you must possess a valid driver's license (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or disqualified from driving).
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.