This level represents technically advanced support of complex fiscal/financial/auditing functions. It is distinguished from the Technician level by work assignments broad in functional scope and/or requiring advanced technical knowledge, both of which require application of complex state or federal program laws, rules and regulations. Work encompasses the full range of activities as described in Essential Functions.
Applicants who do not possess the preferred qualification will still be eligible to compete for this position if job requirements are met.
- Six months experience in using an automated human resource and payroll management information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of every job duty for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
Compute fiscal/financial transactions.
Classify and code fiscal/financial transactions.
Review to ensure compliance with required documentation, computations, codes, signatures, and rules/regulations.
Record fiscal/financial transactions to various financial information systems.
Interact with public/private sector to provide/obtain information.
Compile information/develop reports for use by others.
Monitor balances and report discrepancies.
Participate in recommending systems and forms enhancements.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Accounting Specialist
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of an Associates degree or higher in Accounting or related field.
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Business Management, Computer Information Systems or related field.
- One year experience in processing financial transactions in areas such as accounting, auditing, payroll, or taxes.
- One year experience in creating financial reports which includes combining and presenting financial data from multiple sources in an organized format.
- One year experience in using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
- Six months experience in determining compliance of financial transactions with required documentation, computations, codes, signatures, and rules/regulations.
Conditions of Hire
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at statejobs.delaware.gov.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.