The incumbent will be responsible for answering a multi-line phone system to support the division’s Policy & Planning Unit; writing and mailing letters; keeping records; submitting required reports; completing or typing routine forms, letters and meeting minutes; scheduling meetings, conferences and public hearings; communicating with external agencies; filing and distributing forms, brochures, fact sheets and other related information.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Applies agency laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures in maintaining and processing agency information.
- Creates official agency word processing documents; creates and maintains agency databases typically using Access or similar software packages; creates and maintains spreadsheets; creates original presentations using software packages.
- Serves as a liaison with the public, clients, agency staff and others to exchange information and explain agency services, laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Assures effective coordination of operational functions.
- Establishes tracking and monitoring systems and conducts follow up to ensure effective resolution of matters.
- Obtains, organizes and drafts technical and administrative material necessary for public information or departmental use.
- Collects and compiles data to prepare reports and provide supporting documentation.
- Analyzes routine operating practices and procedures and makes recommendations to ensure smooth and efficient office operation.
- Maintains and controls data and/or filing systems to ensure effective, accurate and easily retrievable documentation of operations, program and project activities.
- May oversee or supervise lower level employees.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Administrative Specialist I
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in coordinating office activities such as planning/coordinating meetings or conferences; tracking workflow and follow up; composing meeting notes; directing clients/customers; explaining services to the public and customers/clients; establishing or maintaining filing/record systems.
- Six months experience in document processing which includes reviewing and evaluating records for completeness and conformity with laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures, resolve deficiencies, interpret information, and track and monitor activities.
- Six months experience in using standard computer software programs for word processing, spreadsheets or databases.
- Six months experience in using an automated information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
Conditions of Hire
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.