This class provides administrative support to professional and technical personnel in a unit, section or division. The areas of responsibility include but are not limited to budget preparation and tracking, procurement, fiscal monitoring/accounting and support services.
Applicants who do not possess the preferred qualification will still be eligible to compete for this position if job requirements are met.
- Six months experience in using an automated payroll management information system to enter, update, modify, delete, retrieve/inquire and report on data.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Compiles data for budgets, prepares budget with justification, makes adjustments in budget figures as a result of administrative reviews; provides information to administrative officials concerning budget requests, expenditures and accounting.
- Maintains records of purchases, expenditures and account balances ensuring that expenditures are within budgetary allotments; prepares and justifies documents for transfer of funds between accounts as needed.
- Prepares financial documents such as cash receipts, purchase orders and payment vouchers and counter signs, ascertains that funds are available, makes recommendations for approval and monitors contracts with vendors.
- Analyzes operations such as workflow, recordkeeping and data processing, identifies problem areas, develops, revises, recommends and implements procedures/systems for improved operations.
- Provides fiscal accounting, monitoring and reporting of grants that may include auditing of expenditures to assure compliance with applicable rules, regulations and guidelines. One cannot be the accountant and the auditor.
- May provide personnel support services.
- May supervise subordinate personnel providing support in a variety of functional areas.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Administrative Officer
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Possession of a Bachelors degree or higher in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Business Management, Computer Information Systems or related field.
- Six months experience in accounting using Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Six months experience compiling, analyzing and interpreting financial data to ensure effective and efficient accounting of funds or to make projections for financial planning.
- Six months experience in using standard computer software programs for word processing, spreadsheets or databases.
- Six months experience in interpreting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of budget management and control which includes managing a budget for the purpose of keeping expenditures within the limitations of available appropriations and available revenue and maintaining, monitoring, projecting and controlling a budget within set policies and procedures.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.