A class incumbent is responsible for assisting inmate-clients assigned to Department of Corrections custody in securing employment within the community and motivating them towards resocialization.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Interviews clients to obtain and verify social and criminal histories with particular emphasis given to eliciting information concerning problems which might hinder employment e.g., domestic, financial, alcohol/drug, educational, lack of skills. Serves as resource person for assistance programs.
- Counsels clients regarding means and methods of improving their marketability to the community by conducting mock interviews, role-playing exercises, and providing instruction on resume/application completion.
- Motivates and encourages clients to seek and/or retain employment. May coordinate efforts between clients and employers or potential employers.
- Coordinates job search to assist clients in their resocialization process.
- Works with other members of the correctional treatment and resocialization team such as Probation and Parole Officers, Correctional Officers and Correctional Counselors.
- Performs follow-up job checks with clients and/or employers, either by telephone or in person, to ensure that good employee-employer relationships exist and conditions of employment are being met.
- Investigates complaints from employers relative to client's attendance, abuse of alcohol/drugs, attitude, or any other problem endangering the client's employment status.
- Determines validity of complaints as needed, counsels clients as to consequences of their actions.
- Monitors clients activities to ensure that conditions of work status, probation/parole or community work assignment are being followed as prescribed.
- Maintains client history and status files to ensure complete documentation of client activities at all times.
- Prepares a variety of records, reports, and summaries in compliance with departmental policy.
- May be required to submit them in court or to appear in person to support client activity as reported.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Community Work Program Coordinator
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Six months experience in case management which includes assessing, planning, developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating options and services to meet an individuals human service needs.
- Six months experience in career counseling which includes assisting hard to serve job seekers to develop realistic and achievable employment goals; interviewing to obtain facts and explore issues; identifying obstacles or barriers to employment and jointly formulating employability development plans directed at employment outcomes.
- Six months experience in interpreting laws, rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Six months experience in narrative report writing.
- Knowledge of criminal behavior which includes reviewing social and criminal histories and eliciting information concerning problems which might hinder offender employment such as violent behavior, financial, alcohol or drug abuse, education or lack of skills.
Additional Posting Information
Prior to institutional assignment, candidates must successfully complete all phases of an eleven-week Correctional Officer Basic Course. This course is administered by the Department of Correction at the Employee Development Center. Coursework includes physical, classroom and hands-on training. Instruction is provided in the areas of inmate supervision, defensive tactics, riot control, weapons, report writing and emergency medical training.
Conditions of Hire
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
This position is a classification organized under an exclusive bargaining representative (labor organization). The candidate selected for this position shall be asked to join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, decline joining the labor organization and not pay dues or a fee. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.