The State of Connecticut
, Secretary of the State (SOTS)
is seeking a highly organized and motivated individual to play a critical part in ensuring the efficient functioning of the Secretary’s office as the Executive Aide to the Secretary of the State (Executive Assistant 1).
Join our team and embark on a rewarding career that offers growth, superlative benefits, and culture that encourages work/life balance.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Full-Time, 40 hours per week
- Monday through Friday
- Location: Hartford, CT
- Due to the nature of this role, the incumbent may be required to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
THIS JOB IS FOR YOU IF
- You value providing prompt quality service and improving access to information.
- You’re able to produce high-quality work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and quickly generate solutions to problems.
- You’re incredibly organized and can prioritize workflow to execute multiple projects at the same time.
- You’re a key support figure in the day-to-day operations of an office, contributing to the success of public service orientation.
- You have a passion for promoting participation in the democratic process by providing a wide range of services for the people and businesses of Connecticut.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO
- Handle incoming and outgoing correspondence, including emails, letters, and phone calls.
- Draft and edit letters, reports, and memos on behalf of the Secretary.
- Maintain an organized filing system for important documents and correspondence.
- Manage the Secretary's daily and long-term schedule.
- Coordinate meetings, appointments, and conference calls.
- Ensure the Secretary is informed of daily commitments and briefings.
- Sort and distribute incoming mail and packages.
- Order and maintain office supplies, ensuring the office is well-equipped.
- Process and track expenses related to supplies and office management.
- Prepare briefing materials and necessary documents in advance of meetings, events, and official functions.
- Conduct research and gather information as needed to support the Secretary's activities.
- Organize and lead weekly scheduling meetings with members of the executive team.
- Collaborate with team members to ensure alignment of priorities and schedules.
ABOUT THE OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF THE STATE
Through the dedication of knowledgeable staff and advanced technology, the Office of the Secretary of the State works as a team to provide a wide range of services for the people and businesses of Connecticut. We are a repository of records for the State and provide important information and resources regarding business and commercial filings, elections, and authentication as prescribed by the constitution, and federal and state laws. We seek to bolster business development opportunities, and foster a more inclusive political process by educating, informing, and engaging communities in youth and civic preparation.
- This position is an anticipated vacancy and will be filled subject to position approval.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to Anne.Dana@ct.gov or 860-509-6171.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOU APPLY
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
CONNECT WITH US
- Due to the large volume of applications received, the State of Connecticut is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Anne Dana at Anne.Dana@ct.gov.
- Follow the State of Connecticut on LinkedIn.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Acts as an executive assistant to a state elective officer or department head as defined in Section 4-5 of the Connecticut General Statutes and performs such duties as are assigned.
- Experience in administrative or executive support roles, including handling of sensitive information with discretion and confidentiality.
- Experience managing and maintaining priorities and tasks with attention to detail in a deadline-driven, high-pressure, and variable work environment.
- Experience communicating to a diverse population and building consensus, including verbal and written communication.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and other software to schedule complex meetings and organize information.
- Experience with state government procedures and protocols.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.