Are you looking to advanced your career while being able to make a difference in your community?
If so, this may be an excellent opportunity for to join our team!
The State of Connecticut Department of Aging and Disability (ADS) is currently seeking an experienced and qualified individual for the position of Associate Accountant to join their Bureau of Organizational Support. This position will be responsible for independently performing the most complex accounting tasks for a variety of programs, using multiple accounting systems. Please note this is a promotional opportunity for current State of Connecticut employees.
- Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
- Work Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
- Location: Hartford, CT
- Work Environment: Hybrid
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
OUR PROGRAMS, POLICIES AND PRACTICES ARE DESIGNED TO:
- Deliver integrated aging and disability services responsive to the needs of Connecticut citizens
- Provide leadership on aging and disability issues statewide
- Provide and coordinate aging and disability programs and services in the areas of employment, education, independent living, accessibility and advocacy
- Advocate for the rights of Connecticut residents with disabilities and older adults
- Serve as a resource on aging and disability issues at the state level
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY:
ADS offers a myriad of programs and services to assist older adults and people with disabilities. Our programs, policies and practices are designed to: deliver integrated aging and disability services responsive to the needs of Connecticut citizens; provide leadership on aging and disability issues statewide; provide and coordinate aging and disability programs and services in the areas of employment, education, independent living, accessibility and advocacy; advocate for the rights of Connecticut residents with disabilities and older adults; and serve as a resource on aging and disability issues at the state level.
The Bureau of Organizational Support assists all of the department's programs through fiscal and IT functions, including budget preparation and monitoring, accounting, vendor setup, accounts payable and receivables, asset management and Information Technology.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing the most complex accounting tasks within a variety of accounting programs and systems. This class may also be accountable for lead or consultative responsibility.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Establishes and implements accounting sub-systems such as procedures for paying and collecting activities, procedures for issuance of grants, loans or subsidies, establishment of rates or schedules of fees, establishment of account charts for classification of transactions;
- Maintains fiscal controls by authorizing non-routine expenditures based on management priorities and policies, examining data and making recommendations regarding timing and amounts of expenditures;
- Manages various phases of budget preparation and control such as preparing estimates of costs of existing or new programs, offices or divisions, preparing budget requests, appropriation schedules, monthly budget reports and year end budget reports;
- Administers fiscal aspects of grant programs by reviewing funding applications for approval, researching and preparing estimates of costs of proposed grant programs, interpreting grant contracts for approval of grant expenditures, analyzing grantees financial records and reports for compliance with grant expenditure requirements;
- Monitors fiscal aspects of contract administration by reviewing and interpreting contracts for approval on non-routine expenditures, preparing or approving schedules of fees in regard to specific contracts;
- Determines priorities;
- Provides staff training and assistance;
- Conducts or assists in conducting performance evaluations;
- Acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures;
- May coordinate unit workflow;
- May assign and review work;
- May establish and maintain unit procedures;
- Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- professional accounting principles and practices including governmental accounting and budgeting;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Considerable ability to
- analyze and evaluate financial records, methods and procedures;
- devise and install accounting procedures and systems;
- Supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Seven (7) years of experience in accounting or auditing.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the level of an Accountant, an Auditor or an Accounts Examiner with responsibility for the exercise of independent analysis and judgement in the application of professional accounting principles and practices.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
- College training in accounting or a closely related field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- A Master's degree in accounting may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
- Certification in any of the following may be substituted for one (1) year of the General and Special Experience: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor.
- Experience utilizing CORE-CT accounting and reporting modules
- Experience utilizing Microsoft Excel for expenditure tracking and reporting, including the use of pivot tables
- Experience preparing federal reports and utilizing federal reporting systems
- Experience requesting federal reimbursements and utilizing federal draw systems
- Experience preparing, monitoring, and managing federal budgets and tracking of associated expenditures
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.