Do you love traveling, have a knack for storytelling, and meticulous attention to detail?
Are you up for new and exciting experiences and working with others to drive progress?
Join our dedicated and energetic team to help show the world the REAL Connecticut!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is hiring for a Director of Tourism (Executive Assistant 1) to manage day to day operations of the Office of Tourism.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Competitive salary
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical and dental coverage
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- A culture that encourages work/life balance
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Work for a Forbes top company: State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT receives National Recognition for offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits and Flexible Schedule
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
- First Shift, Monday - Friday
- Hybrid role with remote work available 3 days/week
- 40 hours/week
In this position, your expertise in tourism marketing, project management, and budgeting will help the team and agency show the world why Connecticut and its towns and cities were recognized as one of the best destinations to travel to in the world by prestigious news outlets like Travel & Leisure, the New York Times, Conde Nast, and USA Today. The successful individual will be:
- Managing a team of three on-staff employees (soon to be five), with more than fifty years of collective state and tourism experience
- Operating a multi-million dollar marketing budget that drives over 7 million people a year to CT Visit, the fifth most visited state tourism website in the country
- Incumbents in this class may be required to travel
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator's license
The DECD is the state's lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive position in the rapidly changing, knowledge-based global economy. The agency takes a comprehensive approach to economic development that incorporates community development, transportation, education, and arts and culture. Check out all the reasons to join our team in this pivotal role and ChooseCT!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AFTER YOU APPLY
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
CONNECT WITH US
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Brittney Woodley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
Acts as an executive assistant to a state elective officer or department head as defined in Section 4-5 of the Connecticut General Statutes and performs such duties as are assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Collaborate with the Chief Marketing Officer to create and execute an innovative multi-channel tourism sales and marketing plan that not only exceeds KPIs, but also engages the statewide industry to better show the world the REAL Connecticut
- Meet tourism industry leaders, influencers, and advocates across the state to maintain open and consistent communication
- Work with four team members (three on-staff, one contract) and potential new hires (two in the next year) to ensure seamless execution of the state’s multimillion tourism budget
- Travel to different attractions and businesses in the tourism ecosystem to assess marketing opportunities and engage businesses to join the state’s promotional efforts
- Ensure that all projects within a fiscal year are executed on time and within the budgetary parameters set by the Chief Marketing Officer
- Listen and learn… a lot! Despite being a small state, there are many diverse needs across the state. As the day-to-day manager of the Office of Tourism, you’ll need to understand the challenges of our constituency and acting quickly and decisively to address these needs while also keeping the office and agencies objectives front of mind
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in communications or marketing
- Minimum of 4 years in a tourism organization
- Minimum of 2 years directly supervising more than one staff member at the same time
- Experience with project management and budgeting
- Experience with quantitative growth in sales or revenue
- Experience completing marketing goals
- Experience engaging with legislative and stakeholder communities within the public and private sector
- Experience collaborating with vendors and partners
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.