Are you an experienced engineer with a passion for technology and learning?
If so, come join our great team of engineering professionals and make an ImpaCT!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for a Building Information Modeling (BIM) for Infrastructure Specialist (Transportation Engineer 3) position within the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, AEC Applications unit at our Headquarters in Newington.
WE CAN OFFER YOU
- Industry leading health benefits, including medical, vision and dental coverage
- Competitive starting salary and structure
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Paid time off- including 13 holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- Culture that encourages work-life balance as well as an employee assistance program
- On-site low-cost fitness center, on-site cafeteria and Electric Vehicle (EV) charging
- Ample free parking with easy access from major highways or by public transportation
- Work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- Tuition reimbursement
- State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
- Monday through Friday
- First shift hours
- Location: Newington, CT
- Hybrid (office/telework) may be available
Please list your Driver's license number, expiration date, and issuing State, Engineer in Training, and/or Professional Engineer license number (if applicable) and any other job-relevant licenses or certifications you hold, in the Licenses and Professional Certifications section of your application.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate with BIM leaders from around the country through groups such as The Highway Engineering Exchange Program (HEEP) and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to help reshape the way CTDOT delivers projects. You will also work with multiple engineering design disciplines to help deliver CTDOT’s BIM Execution Plan. You will help to implement agency-wide BIM standards working with the design teams to ensure they are producing data driven designs and support the continued implementation/transition of BIM throughout the agency. In addition, you will be tasked with keeping up to date on the quickly evolving road, bridge and building related technologies, including digital delivery, data management, digital twins, generative design, modeling and analysis, ISO-19650, model as the legal document, and CAD to GIS.
As a BIM for Infrastructure Specialist, you will be part of a team responsible for managing CAD Applications, using Bentley OpenRoads Designer, OpenBridge Designer and OpenBuildings Designer. You will provide assistance to both in house employees as well as outside consultants, develop training guides, standards and maintain the CTDOT CONNECT Edition CAD Workspace.
AT DOT, our mission is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. Learn more about our mission, vision, and values here!
Join an award winning agency! CT DOT has been recently awarded the Employer of the Year award by the Connecticut Society of Civil Engineers (CSCE)!
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location or shift.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Important Information After You Apply:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working lead who assists a supervisor in supervising a designated group of employees and/or for performing the most complex engineering or related tasks in one or more aspects of engineering projects or studies in the areas of administration, bridge design, design, drainage, electrical, foundations, hydraulics, maintenance, operations, pavement management, regulation compliance, rehabilitation, research, traffic or utilities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assist in the development of BIM implementation plans.
- Support BIM implementation and continue to move the agency forward with technology solutions that will enhance our Survey, Design and Construction Management Offices.
- Develop and Implement CAD to GIS procedures for transportation assets.
- Work with staff to prepare training documents and provide training sessions.
- Act as a support resource for the core design technologies. Provide survey and engineering staff with technical support for Bentley OpenRoads Designer, OpenBridge Designer and OpenBuildings Designer.
- Assist with complex technical concepts, creating and modifying 3D models, data management, analysis and/or optimization for engineering designs.
- Assist with BIM procedures for quantity take-off necessary to provide the cost estimators with quantities.
- Help to create and maintain standards, processes, and goals.
- Maintain current knowledge of design software, industry developments in integrated practice, and other applicable techniques.
- Research new and upcoming technologies.
- Support efforts in the development, testing, and implementation of design tools and services.
- Help manage and develop the CTDOT CAD workspace and configurations.
- Coordinate support between external software application partners and internal staff.
- Support the development and implementation of interoperability workflows between various design applications/platforms.
- Other duties as required, additional information can be found here.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles and practices involved in transportation engineering such as bridge design, foundations, highway design, transportation facilities design, transportation planning, maintenance, drainage or hydraulics, research, pavement design, pavement management and traffic; knowledge of administrative and financial controls with respect to transportation engineering plans, contracts, projects and reports; considerable knowledge of operational methodologies and established policies; considerable analytical, problem solving and technical report development skills; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to interpret and apply principles of information systems and technologies; ability to analyze plans and estimates; some supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and three (3) years of experience in transportation engineering.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been at the working level in a professional transportation engineering capacity. For state employees this is interpreted at the level of Transportation Engineer 2 (ENGINEERING).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. Possession of Professional Engineer (PE) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor's degree requirement.
2. Possession of Engineer-In-Training (EIT) licensure from the Department of Consumer Protection State Board of Examiners for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors consistent with C.G.S.§20-302 may be substituted for the Bachelor’s degree requirement.
3. A Master’s degree in engineering may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
4. Current incumbents in the class of Transportation Engineer 2 (ENGINEERING) who do not possess the degree or certification/licensure qualifications as detailed on this class specification may be considered for promotion to Transportation Engineer 3 (ENGINEERING) upon having three (3) years of experience in transportation engineering. One (1) of the three (3) years' must have been as a Transportation Engineer 2 (ENGINEERING).
- Experience with Bentley CONNECT Software
- Software troubleshooting and technical experience
- Experience using proper CAD Standards in designs or checking designs for proper CAD Standards usage
- Education, training or experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Technical experience with computers and networking
- Experience with presentation skills and oral and written communication skills
- Experience with survey data collection workflows
- Experience self-managing and efficiently delivering assigned tasks, projects and group initiatives
- Experience as a technology advocate, providing high level customer service in assisting others with CAD solutions
- Experience in engineering with a concentration on technology and applicable software
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
2. Incumbents may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from highway or construction environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from exposure to year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.