Does a role as a Pharmacist intrigue you?
If so, we have an excellent opportunity to join our team!
- Work Shift: First shift
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
- Location: 500 Vine Street, Hartford, CT
- PCN: 123028
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU:
- The opportunity to work for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive benefit offerings
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and development opportunities
- A healthy work/life balance to all employees
State of Connecticut is an eligible Public Service Loan Forgiveness employer, meaning you may be eligible to have qualifying student loans forgiven after 10 years of service. Click here for more information.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Utilize and maintain the associated records and record keeping, both hard copies and electronic;
- Function as a pharmacological resource for CRMHC staff and clients;
- Participate in development of all policies related to medication prescribing, monitoring, and storage within the facility;
- Be responsible for maintaining and adhering to medical protocols and standards as they pertain to the safe management and distribution of medications and pharmacy products and services to clients.
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY AND FACILITIES:
The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS), is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
Capitol Region Mental Health Center (CRMHC) is a community based mental health center serving Hartford, West Hartford, Farmington, Avon, Canton and Simsbury providing individuals with behavioral health services. CRMHC collaborates with the greater Hartford DMHAS-Funded mental health programs comprising 15 non-profit agencies located in Hartford and West Hartford. These agencies work together to provide a comprehensive array of behavioral health services to adults with serious psychiatric disabilities as well as co-occurring psychiatric illness and substance use.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- In order to receive educational credits toward qualification for this job posting, the institution must be accredited. If the institution of higher learning is located outside of the U.S., you are responsible for providing documentation from a recognized USA accrediting service which specializes in determining foreign education equivalencies to the recruiter listed on this job posting.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Ellen Devlin at Ellen.Devlin@ct.gov
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In state facilities this class is accountable for providing patient drug therapies and services and pharmaceutical education and direction to clients, support staff and families.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Interprets physician’s prescriptions and determines appropriateness of medication’s indications for drug interactions and allergies; works with considerable independence under limited technical supervision to complete assignments and resolve problems; selects, compounds and dispenses drugs and other pharmaceutical products; instructs patients in use of medications and maintains patient drug profiles; maintains updated knowledge of drugs and pharmacy requirements; evaluates patient drug regimen, medical and laboratory data; researches medical literature and pharmaceutical databases to support drug therapy decisions; ensures compliance with established guidelines for use of high risk medications; reviews, assesses and maintains patient drug therapy profiles to comply with expected level of care; develops a corrective plan of action and communicates recommendations to physician in charge; evaluates medication distribution and administration system for accuracy and assesses real or potential failures of system and documents findings; provides technical training to pharmacy support staff in preparation, packaging, dispensing and delivery of medication and all daily pharmacy processes; maintains inventories and records on prescriptions, pharmacy requisitions, controlled drugs and expiration dates as required by law or pharmacy committee policy; participates on interdisciplinary teams and provides pharmacological input on review of patient care; participates in committees, conferences and seminars for purpose of maintaining professional skills and disseminating information in fields of pharmacology and pharmaceutics; may be required to assume responsibility for operation of pharmacy in absence of Pharmacy Supervisor; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of principles of pharmacy and pharmacology and application to operation of an institutional or hospital pharmacy; considerable knowledge of contemporary drug therapeutics; knowledge of relevant state and federal laws, statutes and regulations; knowledge of pharmaceutical economics; knowledge of documentation, quality assurance and security requirements for HCFA, Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation (JCOHA) and other accreditations and certifications; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills; ability to conduct inservice training programs on proper care, dosage and administration of drugs; ability to negotiate with prescribing physicians to avoid adverse drug interactions and control expenses through use of generic alternatives; ability to impose adequate controls over supply, dispensing and flow of narcotics, depressants and stimulant drugs and alcohol.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Incumbents in this class must possess and maintain licensure as a Registered Pharmacist issued by the Connecticut State Department of Consumer Protection in accordance with Connecticut General Statutes, Section 20-590.
- Experience establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with pharmacy, nursing and prescribing staff;
- Experience in providing pharmacy services to behavioral health clients;
- Experience with word processing and spreadsheet computer skills;
- Experience with collecting and analyzing data and;
- Experience with maintaining on-going compliance with healthcare accrediting and regulatory bodies.
1. Incumbents in this class in some positions will be required to work overtime, on-call and rotating schedules.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.