Are you a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN)?
Looking for a fulfilling career with growth potential?
Join our team of dedicated professionals and apply today!
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- The opportunity to work
for a Forbes top company: 'Forbes' State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers
of 2023 - State of CT
Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive
Benefits, and Flexible Schedule
- NEW: A Platinum Healthcare Plan, the nation’s best for state employees
and dependents, according to a report by Georgetown’s Center on Health
Insurance Reform and article by Ellen Andrews, Ph.D., along with comprehensive
- Extensive pension plan and
supplemental retirement offerings
- Generous paid time off,
including 13 paid holidays per calendar year
- Professional growth and
- A healthy work/life balance to all employees
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO:
- Be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success
- Make a difference in the public sector
- Work together in a collaborative team environment
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY AND DIVISION:
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
SMHA is a community mental health agency serving adults in Bozrah, Colchester, East Lyme, Franklin, Griswold, Groton, Ledyard, Lisbon, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Norwich, Preston, Salem, Sprague, Stonington, Voluntown, and Waterford providing high quality behavioral health services to those with mental health and substance use disorders. Services offered include case management, outpatient behavioral health, crisis intervention, respite care, and forensic services. SMHA is responsible for administering all DMHAS contract funded behavioral health services in Southeastern Connecticut.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
Applicants for this position are required to have an active Practical Nurse License or Temporary Permit to be considered. To verify if your Practical Nurse License or Temporary Permit is valid, please click here.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state facility, this class is accountable for rendering bedside care or mental health services to individuals with physical and/or intellectual disabilities in instances where the services of a registered nurse are not required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Assists doctors and nurses in the general care and treatment of individuals; measures doses and administers medications including insulin injections; documents medications using appropriate forms; performs narcotic counts; checks and may administer intravenous medications; reports changes in individuals to doctors; ensures that restraints are applied correctly; transcribes doctors medication orders; dispenses certain medications in doctor’s absence; applies topical medication; takes and charts temperatures, pulses and respirations; performs simple nursing treatments; monitors general individual needs including personal hygiene; reports on individual conditions and behavior; keeps the unit safe and healthy; administers enemas or suppositories; performs Foley catheterization care; orients individuals concerning medications and their use; may perform emergency first aid; may drive individuals to necessary appointments/outings; performs related duties as required.
DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES: performs the full range of duties as described in the class specification for the Lead Developmental Services Worker.
DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTION SERVICES: performs the full range of duties as described in class specifications for the Mental Health Assistant 1 or Mental Health Assistant 2.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of practical nursing specialties and bedside care; knowledge of various medications used in conjunction for the care of individuals who have physical and/or intellectual disabilities; knowledge of infection control practices; some knowledge of nutrition and diets; basic knowledge of medical and lab sciences; considerable interpersonal skills; ability to keep records; some ability to lead staff.
License or temporary permit to practice nursing in Connecticut by the State Board of Examiners for Nursing.
DEPARTMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES: Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Connecticut Motor Vehicle Operator's license, Public Passenger Endorsement or Commercial Driver's license for designated positions.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift/restrain individuals; may have some exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and to some risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.