Are you looking to help your state in a time of need?
If so, come Make an ImpaCT by serving your state!
Read below and apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) is currently accepting applications for multiple NURSE positions within Whiting Forensic Hospital (WFH).
We are seeking dedicated and compassionate individuals to join our direct-care
team to improve the well-being for our clients/patients.
- Location: Dutcher Services
- Address: 70 O'Brien Drive, Middletown, CT
- Hours: Full-Time, 40 hours weekly
- Shifts: First, Second, and Third
- Note: These positions are hazardous duty and can be assigned any unit/location, work schedule/shift throughout the hospital.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER:
Please Note: DMHAS is a loan
forgiveness organization, you may be able to qualify for one or more State or
Federal loan forgiveness programs.
- To work for a
Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for
Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule;
- Industry leading health benefits plan with medical and dental coverage;
- Hazardous duty pension plan (State Employees Retirement System Tier IV);
- Retire in 25 years with pension & healthcare benefits;
- Generous paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year;
- Professional growth and development opportunities; and
- A healthy work-life balance to all employees!
FOR SECOND AND THIRD SHIFT POSITIONS - YOU MAY BE APPROVED FOR AN ADDITIONAL COMPENSATION BONUS:
- Each Registered Nurse who is permanently assigned to the second or third shift shall receive a “recruitment and retention” yearly bonus of three thousand dollars ($3,000.00).
- In order to be eligible for this bonus, the Employee must have completed one year of service in the registered nurse classification.
THIS ROLE AS AN REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL NURSE YOU WILL:
- Use therapeutic skills to effectively implement client
care according to the Nursing Care Plan;
- Provide substantial input regarding patient care
needs, response to treatment, and recommend modifications in the overall
plan of care;
- Complete comprehensive Initial Nursing Assessment for
patients with acute psychiatric and addictive problems;
- Provide direct patient care that includes education,
counseling, medication administration and documentation of the treatment
and progress made by the patient; and
- Lead groups of clients and support staff in
rehabilitative, educational, and recreational activities.
- Current DMHAS permanent employees in the classification of Nurse should not apply.
- Permanent DMHAS employees in the classification of Nurse transfers will be handled through the DMHAS Lateral Transfer Agreement.
- Positions through this posting are permanent positions with temporary assignments.
- Permanent assignments will be completed at a later date after the agency transfer list has been cleared.
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
ABOUT THE HOSPITAL:
Whiting Forensic Hospital specializes in providing inpatient
services to individuals involved in the criminal justice system. The hospital
consists of 91 maximum security beds and 138 enhanced security beds. Services are provided to individuals who are
admitted under the following categories: Psychiatric Security Review Board
commitment, Criminal court order for restoration of competency to stand trial,
civil commitment (voluntary or involuntary) and Transfer from the Department of
Correction (during period of incarceration or at end of sentence). Discharge
options are dependent on legal status and the purpose of admission.
We welcome you
to be a part of a comprehensive team of caring professionals and assist our
clients/patients so they can achieve success. You will experience the
opportunity to make a difference in the public sector as well as Make an ImpaCT as a Registered Professional Nurse for the
State of Connecticut!
We encourage you to apply today!
FOR THOSE WHO HOLD A RN LICENSE IN A STATE OTHER THAN CONNECTICUT AND WISH TO APPLY FOR A CONNECTICUT LICENSE, PLEASE:
- Review the eligibility and documentation requirements for CT license by endorsement of an out-of-state license;
- Complete a CT DPH online application online (expand the ‘Public Health Practitioners’ grouping, select ‘Registered Nurse’ and then ‘Start’;
- Request verification of your out-of-state license(s) electronically through the National Council of State Boards of Nursing’s: Nursys® System. To send verification of your license(s) to CT, read and agree to the terms, enter your biographic information, select your license type and select ‘SEARCH’. Review the results and select the ‘Next’ button. Check the box next to ‘Connecticut’ and complete the transaction. Once the transaction is completed, you will receive a confirmation email from Nursys and the verification will be available to the DPH. Note that PA and MI verifications are not provided through Nursys. Please contact those state boards for information on obtaining verification.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW:
positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language,
reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
- In order
to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum
Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and
training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening,
unless otherwise specified.
that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. We
are no longer accepting resumes in accordance with PA 21-69. You will not be able to make revisions
once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the
time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are
applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be
considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that
incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting
time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to
request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to
accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
select all shift(s) in which you are willing to work on your application.
Failure to indicate the shift(s) may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific shift.
INFORMATION AFTER YOU APPLY:
applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are
also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis
to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks
required in the recruitment process.
posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You
can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the
posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board
(Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must
be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check
your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please
check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email
provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At
any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to
submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for
this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume,
transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records,
supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring
immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this
recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely
meet the requirements of the position.
- Due to
the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide
confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates
will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If you
have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Alyssa Hovanec at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for providing a full range of professional nursing care.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Independently implements the nursing process with individuals including carrying out physicians orders regarding diet, medication and treatment; performs assessments; changes dressings; monitors and ensures quality care through observation and evaluation; reports on physiological and mental health status of individuals; documents nursing interventions on medical records; distributes and maintains records of controlled drugs and insures their security; maintains records and makes reports; makes decisions in routine cases; instructs individuals, staff and family members regarding treatments, nursing plans and related individual care issues directed towards an awareness and understanding of health/mental health issues; responds to emergencies; maintains availability of medications and supplies; ensures cleanliness of equipment and environment; may participate as a member of an interdisciplinary treatment team in the assessment, development, implementation and evaluation of individuals treatment or health/mental health care plans; may formulate and implement nursing care plans; may participate in outpatient clinics and assist in physical examinations; may administer routine tests; may conduct training; may delegate nursing tasks consistent with established protocols; may participate in psychotherapeutic and rehabilitation interventions; may physically restrain individuals; may provide related medical or mental health specialty services; may serve as Qualified Intellectual Disability Professional; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply professional nursing theory, practice and ethics; knowledge of current medications, their actions, interactions, uses and side effects; knowledge of medical, therapeutic and psychiatric nursing interventions and methods; knowledge of and ability to apply quality standards, procedures and protocols; knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural and socio-economic difference; knowledge of and ability to apply clinical therapeutic models of individual care with emphasis on interdisciplinary team approach; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to act as a role model to health care staff by demonstrating and teaching professional behaviors; ability to learn specialized individual care applicable to work assignment; ability to listen and provide empathetic assistance to individuals and families in meeting their needs and carrying out prescribed treatments; ability to develop therapeutic relationships with individuals, and their caregivers; ability to respond to emergencies; ability to respond to and seek supervision; ability to encourage and facilitate cooperation, pride trust and group identity to foster commitment and team work; ability to analyze and evaluate proper care and treatment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited nursing program.
1. Incumbents in this class must possess and retain a license or temporary permit as a Registered Professional Nurse in Connecticut.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to be fluent in a foreign language or proficient in the use of the American Sign Language in certain designated positions.
3. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift and restrain individuals; may have exposure to communicable/infectious diseases and risk of injury from assaultive/abusive individuals; may be exposed to disagreeable conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.