Are you ready to challenge yourself and support our Veterans?
Apply today to make an impact as a Maintainer!
- LOCATION: State Veterans Cemetery in Middletown
- Please note: Duty location is in Middletown but may be assigned to Rocky Hill for special projects as needed.
- SCHEDULE: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week, first shift, 7:00am to 3:00pm, Tuesday to Saturday
- Position Numbers: 119391
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
- To work for a Forbes top company: ‘Forbes’ State of Connecticut Ranked One of the Best Employers of 2023 - State of CT Receives National Recognition for Offering Job Growth, Competitive Benefits, and Flexible Schedule;
- We offer a competitive benefits plan that includes healthcare coverage, a retirement plan as well as paid time off, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year.
- We encourage a strong work/life balance for all state employees.
- We offer opportunities for professional and personal growth.
- We have limitless areas for you to perform relevant and significant work.
DISCOVER THE OPPORTUNITY TO
- Engage in a rewarding career;
- Provide support to a division that is passionate about improving the lives of those we serve;
- Assist our clients so they can achieve success;
- Make a difference in the public sector;
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
For over 140 years, DVA has been caring for its veterans and their dependents. As a Department, we believe in "serving those who have served." This is accomplished through our: Office of Advocacy and Assistance, Residential Facility, Healthcare Center, and Cemetery and Burial Services.
The DVA has supported Connecticut Veterans and continues this tradition with Residential and Healthcare programming on our campus in Rocky Hill. There are two paths for residency at the DVA:
- Residential Facility: offers temporary, supportive living with programming designed to return Connecticut Veterans to independent living in the community;
- Sgt. John L. Levitow Healthcare Center: a state-of-the-art medical facility that offers long-term care for veterans with chronic, disabling conditions who require 24-hour assistance.
When you walk through the doors of the Healthcare Center (HCC), one immediately feels a sense of community, comfort, and camaraderie. The HCC stands apart from other 24-hour care centers with full time Physicians and Advanced Practice Registered Nurses on staff. Our highly trained staff is dedicated to providing compassionate care to meet the unique needs of Veteran patients, built on the foundation of integrity, honor, and respect. We pride ourselves on fostering these qualities as we honor Veteran patients for their service and encourage the innate bond between them.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
This position may be subject to Federal requirements of COVID-19 Vaccination.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
AFTER YOU APPLY
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
CONNECT WITH US
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Jensine Tran at email@example.com.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing duties a substantial amount of time (75%) in one or both of the following areas:
- Transportation of individuals serviced by the agency;
- Grounds care (outside services) equipment operation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Examples of Duties by General Work Areas
- Keeps simple records and prepares reports (this should be related to duties and not a full-time office record keeping position);
- Performs related duties as required.
GROUNDS CARE (OUTSIDE SERVICES):
- Operates the following equipment a substantial amount of time (75%):
- Skid steer loader;
- High productivity front end machine or multi-attachment snow blower and/or mower;
- Power drain cleaning equipment;
- Power striping machine;
- Chain saws and/or brush chippers;
- Self-propelled sweeping and/or vacuum machine;
- Other related commercial and heavy-duty equipment.
These are only examples of types of tasks that a Maintainer (Driver/Equipment Operator) may be expected to perform. Incumbents in this class will also be expected to perform related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- follow oral and written instructions;
- operate equipment and vehicles used in daily work;
- learn policies and procedures;
- operate, care for and perform minor maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work;
- record keep.
Any experience and training which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed above.
- Experience in the placement of headstones
- Experience operating mowing and landscape equipment
- Experience operating an excavator
- Experience driving dump trucks under a 5 ton rating including trucks with sanding and plow attachments
- Experience communicating with the grieving public
- Experience restoring old and damaged masonry work
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
- Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility, visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
- A physical examination may be required.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to extreme weather conditions and risk of injury from equipment and assaultive and/or abusive patients and/or clients.
- The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.