Attention Aspiring Engineers: Looking to further your career with the State of Connecticut? This is an excellent, career-mobile opportunity for you to join us; apply today!
This hybrid position is full time on first shift, Monday through Friday, from 7:30 AM until 3:00 PM.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
In addition, the State puts an emphasis on:
- Providing limitless opportunities;
- Hiring for diversity and fresh perspectives;
- Performing meaningful work and;
- Encouraging a healthy work/life balance!
DEEP's Bureau of Central Services Engineering Unit provides statewide coverage of projects in state parks, forests, marine access locations, etc. The unit also completes investigation and inspection activities to ensure public health and safety and plays a critical role in asset management, inventory, condition assessment and prioritization. The Engineering Unit is based out of the Portland Complex but provides statewide coverage for all DEEP owned property and facilities and state vehicles are provided for work-related transportation.
As an Engineer Trainee, you will be supervised by Professional Engineers (PEs) and mentored to qualify for the PE Exam. Additionally, you will assist in design engineering, permitting, and project management of maintenance, upgrade, renovation and replacement projects at DEEP owned and operated critical infrastructure including recreational facilities such as buildings, towers, historic/cultural site, roads, bridges, greenways/trails, marinas, boat launches, etc. You will also assist with the oversight of consultants and contractor activities in the execution of projects in all aspects of project management and execution.
The State of Connecticut, Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) is charged with developing policies and programs to mitigate and adapt to the impacts of climate change, conserve, improve and protect Connecticut's natural resources and environment, and provide equitable access to broadband and affordable, clean and reliable energy to the people and businesses of the state. The agency is also committed to playing a positive role in rebuilding Connecticut's economy and creating jobs - and to fostering a sustainable, equitable and prosperous economic future.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION AFTER YOU APPLY
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the questionnaire's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for receiving training in introductory professional engineering work for the development of technical and professional engineering skills and knowledge in order to qualify for advancement to the technical engineering work of the agency.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a wide variety of increasingly difficult duties as technical skills are acquired during course of training period.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Knowledge of basic engineering theories, principles and methods;
- Skill in the use of drafting and calculating instruments;
- Considerable ability to perform mathematical computations, making neat and accurate drawings and preparing minor design and structural details;
- Ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Candidates must be able to meet the experience and training requirements of the designated job class at the completion of the development program.
- Completion of an accredited bachelor’s degree or higher in civil or environmental engineering;
- Experience with conflict resolution in a work environment;
- Experience working in the construction industry;
- Experience interpreting maps and construction plans;
- Experience using Computer-Aided Design (CAD) programs and spreadsheet programs in data analysis;
- Experience organizing and prioritizing tasks;
- Experience communicating technical information pertaining to civil and environmental engineering to audiences verbally and in writing.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.
As defined by Sec. 5-196 of the Connecticut General Statutes, a job class is a position or group of positions that share general characteristics and are categorized under a single title for administrative purposes. As such, a job class is not meant to be all-inclusive of every task and/or responsibility.