Western Connecticut State University (WCSU) is a constituent unit of the Board of Regents for Higher Education (BOR), Connecticut State Colleges and Universities. As one of the State of Connecticut institutions of higher learning, this university offers undergraduate and graduate programs that weave together liberal arts and professional education and instill a desire for life-long learning.
We are recruiting for a full-time Secretary 2 for our WESTCONNect Office, located on the Midtown Campus at 181 White Street in Danbury, CT. Work hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday - Friday. Overtime may be required during peak business periods. The WESTCONNect Office manages all campus card, security systems, and locksmith services. The incumbent will be the first point of contact for students, faculty, staff and others and is subsequently the representative of the department. The primary focus will be to provide outstanding customer service and daily office operations. Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Direct customer service interaction and responsible for staffing office hours.
- Front desk reception and telephone support for the department. Produce and distribute campus cards and associated information.
- Processes access requests via the computer system and conduct related correspondence and issues keys as needed.
- Maintains key inventory records.
- Responsible for fiscal processes including purchase requisitions, purchase orders, budget logs, packing slips, invoices and p-card use from a variety of funding sources.
- Additional fiscal tracking related to campus card program such as replacement card fees, daily balancing, etc.
- Tracks employment and contract status as related to campus access.
- Provides general support to the 6 full-time staff and student workers.
- Designs and oversees records retention and filing system per State of Connecticut’s retention schedule.
- Data entry into university and department proprietary systems; for example, programming access, electronic work order system, etc.
- Maintains office supply inventory. Troubleshoots daily problems and performs associated correspondence.
- Required to communicate with both internal (faculty, staff, students) and external (contractors, vendor, visitors, members of the public) customers.
WCSU offers a comprehensive benefits package. Additional information on benefits can be found at www.wcsu.edu/hr/benefits/.
In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. Please ensure that your application is complete prior to submitting. NOTE: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, supervisory references, attendance records, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Questions about these required documents should be directed to the hiring agency's human resources office: Hrpositions@wcsu.edu.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQ’s) which will be sent to you via email after the closing date. Please regularly check your email for notifications, including your SPAM/JUNK folders. You must reply by the deadline indicated on the notification or you will be automatically disqualified from consideration.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements and preferred qualifications of the position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Due to the volume of applications anticipated, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for independently performing a full range of secretarial support functions requiring an understanding of organizational policies and procedures.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a variety of secretarial duties as described in the following areas:
- Using computers, tablets, and other electronic equipment, formats and types a full range of correspondence, reports, bills, drafts, etc. from rough draft, transcription, dictated notes, etc.;
- Proofreads for content;
- Edits using knowledge of grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Designs office filing systems;
- Organizes and maintains files (including confidential files);
- Maintains, updates and reviews reference materials and manuals.
- Composes complex letters and/or memoranda, etc. (e.g., explaining department practices/policies) for own or supervisor's signature.
- REPORT WRITING:
- Compiles information from a variety of sources and prepares narrative or statistical reports, exercising judgment in the selection of items to be included.
- Greets and directs visitors;
- Answers phones and screens incoming calls;
- Provides advice to callers regarding policy and procedures (e.g., citing a regulation to solve a specific problem);
- Coordinates with others both within and outside of the organization on a variety of non-routine matters.
- Screens letters, memos, reports and other materials to determine action required;
- May make recommendations to the supervisor.
- Arranges and coordinates meetings (including space and equipment);
- Researches, assembles and coordinates meeting materials (e.g., charts, graphs, reports);
- Writes minutes of meetings, lectures, conferences, etc. from rough draft;
- Takes notes and/or meeting minutes;
- Prepares expense accounts;
- Makes travel arrangements.
- OFFICE MANAGEMENT:
- Maintains an inventory of supplies and equipment;
- Orders supplies when necessary;
- Completes, processes and maintains paperwork for purchasing (e.g., orders, requisitions, invoices, etc.);
- Maintains time and attendance records;
- Assists in preparing and monitoring the office budget (e.g., compiles figures, reviews statistical reports, verifies expense items);
- Designs and initiates new forms and procedures to facilitate workflow;
Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
- Considerable knowledge of
- office systems and procedures;
- proper grammar, punctuation and spelling;
- Knowledge of
- business communications;
- department's/unit's polisies and procedures;
- business math;
- interpersonal skills;
- oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to
- schedule and prioritize office workflow;
- operate office equipment which includes computers, tablets, and other electronic equipment;
- operate office suite software;
- take notes (shorthand, speedwriting or other method acceptable to the supervisor).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Three (3) years of experience above the routine clerk level in office support or secretarial work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been as a Secretary 1 or its equivalent.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in the secretarial sciences may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of two (2) years.
Preference will be given to applicants who can demonstrate in their application materials:
- Excellent customer service skills and experience in direct customer service required. Must be able to maintain professional demeanor when dealing with the public
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to multitask and to prioritize tasks
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office required including: Teams, Outlook (including calendar management), Excel and Word
- Must be comfortable learning new software programs
- Experience with Banner, WebFocus, and Adobe preferred
- Budget and purchasing processing experience required
- Must have experience in office management, digital and paper file and record management, and supply inventory
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.