Are you a design engineer looking for a new role?
Do you enjoy performing detailed work while assisting in the review of engineering design plans and specifications?
If so, come make an impact by serving your State. Read below & apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), is now accepting applications for a Design Engineer 1 (Electrical) position in the Bureau of Engineering and Construction, Division of Traffic, in the Signal Laboratory. This position is full time, 40 hours per week, and in the P-4 bargaining unit. With successful performance, upon qualification, the incumbent will be promoted by reclassification to the target classification of Design Engineer 2 (Electrical).
The Role: The Signal Laboratory is responsible for designing, supporting, and repairing traffic signal electronic equipment for the DOT’s over 2,500 signalized intersections. In this role, you will:
- Develop and implement traffic signal system timing plans
- Review shop drawings and signal design layout plans prepared both by the Department and private sector engineers
- Maintain signal equipment in the field to ensure continued operation of the State's traffic signal systems
- Other duties as assigned
About Us: As one of Connecticut’s largest State agencies, DOT employs approximately 3,000 individuals statewide in five distinct bureaus. It is our mission to provide a safe, accessible, and efficient multimodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region. We have a significant transportation infrastructure system that is essential to maintaining mobility for Connecticut residents and businesses and supporting economic and community development while preserving environmental and cultural resources. The Department of Transportation is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged.
What We Can Offer You: The DOT offers a competitive starting salary, excellent State benefits package including health/dental insurance, generous paid time off, retirement plan options, alternate work schedules, and a culture that encourages work-life balance!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on this job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, available to travel to and attend trainings, conferences, public meetings, field reviews, etc. both within and outside of normal working hours when necessary
- Must possess and retain a valid driver's license
- Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Connect With Us:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the DOT is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Sharon.McIntosh@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for performing less complicated detail work and assisting in the review of engineering design plans and specifications.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs a limited range of related duties; assists in preparation of analyses and designs of buildings and other types of engineering projects; prepares plans and specifications under direction of a Design Engineer or other employee of higher grade; checks shop drawings; reviews plans prepared by outside engineers; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of principles and practices of engineering design in parenthetical field; knowledge of engineering aspects of building construction including materials; ability in engineering design of large buildings; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Five (5) years of experience in the engineering field indicated by the parenthetical title including one (1) year in engineering design in that field.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
College training in engineering in the parenthetical field may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
- Experience in engineering or maintenance of electronic equipment
- Knowledge of or experience with the Department’s traffic signal software and associated hardware such as ATMS.now, Streetwise, Smartways, and GridSmart
- Experience creating and maintaining intersection databases
- Experience interpreting traffic signal plans for sequences, hold phases, coordination types, detection zones, and how they relate to software applications
- Experience designing intersection detection zone layouts
- Experience with networking protocol, IP addressing, communication equipment, IP over ethernet
- Experience using Bluebeam and Office 365 tools
- Experience with technical documents such as design specifications or instruction manuals
- Experience with providing customer service and support
- Experience communicating successfully, verbally and in writing, with teammates and stakeholders of all levels
1. Incumbents in this class may be required to travel.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s license.
Incumbents in this class may be exposed to some danger of injury or physical harm from construction site environments and a moderate degree of discomfort from year round weather conditions.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.