Are you driven and motivated by making a positive impact with those you work with?
If so, we encourage you to apply today!
The Supervising Custodian position will be assigned to the Housekeeping Unit of the Plant and Fiscal Services Department, located at 1635 Central Avenue in Bridgeport, CT. This position is full-time, thirty seven and a half (37.5) hours per week. The schedule is first shift, 6:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., rotating weekends and holidays, with the following work day schedule:
- Week 1: Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday
- Week 2: Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
The position number is 125925.
In this role, discover the opportunity to:
- Thrive in an exciting environment;
- Make a difference in the Housekeeping Unit; and
- Work together in a collaborative team environment.
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
As a State of Connecticut employee, we offer the same comprehensive benefits you are accustomed to, including:
- Industry leading health benefits with medical and dental coverage;
- Extensive pension plan and supplemental retirement offerings;
- Retirement healthcare offerings; and
- A healthy work/life balance!
MORE ABOUT THE AGENCY AND FACILITIES:
DMHAS is a health care agency whose mission is to promote the overall health and wellness of persons with behavioral health needs through an integrated network of holistic, comprehensive, effective, and efficient services and supports that foster dignity, respect, and self-sufficiency in those we serve.
SWCMHS, with three locations throughout Fairfield County, promotes and administers comprehensive recovery oriented services in the areas of mental health treatment and substance abuse prevention and treatment. These services include inpatient treatment programs and outpatient clinical services, as well as a wide range of additional supportive treatment services.
In order to be considered for this job opening, you must be a current State of CT employee, who has worked for the state for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- You must specify your qualifications on your application. You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application for this posting to the JobAps system.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- This position will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process.
- Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Alyssa Hovanec via email at Alyssa.Hovanec@ct.gov.
FOR ASSISTANCE IN APPLYING:
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for supervising a large crew of Custodians and Lead Custodians or contract employees engaged in the cleaning of buildings or building complexes.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Schedules, assigns, oversees and reviews work of staff; provides staff training and assistance; conducts performance evaluations; determines priorities and plans crew work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; develops or makes recommendations on development of policies and standards; acts as liaison with other operating units, agencies and outside officials regarding unit policies and procedures; prepares reports and correspondence; maintains inventory of supplies and equipment; prepares work orders; inspects buildings on a regular basis to ensure established standards of cleanliness are maintained; maintains building security; receives and responds to complaints from staff in buildings; responds to building emergencies; maintains employee time records; may participate in cleaning; may act for supervisor in his/her absence; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of methods, materials and procedures used in building custodial and/or housekeeping work; interpersonal skills; oral and written communication skills; ability to operate, care for and perform light maintenance on tools and equipment used in daily work; some ability to utilize computer software; supervisory ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in building custodial and/or housekeeping work.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must have been in a lead capacity.
Note: For State Employees this is interpreted at the level of Lead Custodian.
- Experience providing supervision to custodial staff.
- Experience with cleaning procedures, equipment and supplies.
- Experience with Joint Commission surveys.
Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the class.
2. A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights and may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and/or assaultive and/or abusive patients or clients.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.