Are you looking for an opportunity to prepare food for students that are a part of the largest High School System in the State? If so we invite you to read more!
The State of Connecticut Technical Education and Career System (CTECS) is currently recruiting qualified applicants to apply for multiple part-time (32.5 hours per week) Float Cook (Cook) positions. CTECS serves approximately 11,200 full-time high school students across the state.
These roles will float between the following locations: A.I. Prince, Henry Abbott, Oliver Wolcott, Emmett O'Brien, and Ella T. Grasso Technical Education and Career Schools in Hartford, Danbury, Torrington, Hamden and Groton CT. These positions will work in the school cafeterias for the perspective regions as needed/assigned in a high school environment. The hours are Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Note: These are 10 month positions
In this role you will be accountable independently performing a full range of tasks involved in preparing and cooking food. This includes preparing soups, salads, meats, vegetables, desserts, beverages, nourishments, etc. Additionally, you will be responsible for helping ensure we maintain a clean and sanitary working environment.
We hope you take this opportunity to join our team and make an impact by serving your state!
Important Information After You Apply:
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. We are no longer accepting resumes in accordance with PA 21-69. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
Connect With Us:
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- Note: At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- Should you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Ethan Ives via email at Ethan.Ives@ct.gov.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
This class is accountable for independently performing a full range of tasks involved in preparing and cooking food.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Prepares and cooks a wide variety of foods including special diets; operates various types of cooking equipment such as stoves, ovens, steam cookers, mixing machines, choppers, etc.; cleans kitchen areas and equipment; rotates stock on a regular basis; assists with the ordering of food and supplies; inspects food received; may serve food or assist in serving; may prepare production records; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of and ability to apply cooking principles and techniques on a quantity basis; knowledge of liquid and dry weights and measures; some knowledge of health and safety requirements in food service; some interpersonal skills; some oral and written communication skills; some ability to utilize computer software; some ability in menu preparation and record keeping; some mathematical ability.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the preparation of food on a quantity basis.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Successful completion of a cook training course under the auspices of State or Federal Apprentice Training Bureaus may be substituted for one (1) year of the General Experience.
Preference will be given to those who possess the following:
- Food service experience in a school
- Experience using institutional food service equipment
- Experience using computerized point-of-sale cashiering systems
- Experience with bulk and individual plate cooking techniques
- Possession or ability to acquire a ServSafe certification or other comparable certification
Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties.
Incumbents must be free from communicable diseases
A physical examination may be required.
Incumbents in this class may be required to lift moderate to heavy weights; may be exposed to risk of injury from equipment and utensils used in the kitchen and from individuals.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.