Are you looking to advance your career within the Department of Transportation?
If so, we encourage you to apply today!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT) invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Maintainer 3 (Payloader Operator). The current positions are located in the Orange Maintenance Facility. Eligible candidates will be required to be interviewed, prior to being eligible for the skill evaluation practicum.
Who We Are: The mission of the Connecticut Department of Transportation is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
- 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- 37.5 hours per week
- Applicants must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) (A or B), with the "tank endorsement," and valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC). These must be noted in the "Licenses and Professional Certifications" section of the application for consideration.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of these current valid licenses/certifications as well as their Master Application at the time of interview.
- Applicants must be willing to accept emergency overtime duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed; mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
- Applicants will be required to have a 20-mile residency from the posted job location.
- Various storm events will require employees to stay at work for the duration of the storm; which at times could be up to a period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
The Agency will conduct a practicum for the Transportation Maintainer 3 (Payloader) position, to evaluate and determine whether or not applicant(s) have the skills and qualifications to perform the duties of this position. Practicums shall be conducted pursuant to the Department of Transportation Administrative Guidelines for Conducting Practicums and will be part of the interview process.
What We Can Offer You: As a State employee, this position offers the same competitive benefits you are accustomed to including healthcare coverage, and a retirement plan, as well as paid time off. We encourage a healthy work-life balance for all employees!
- In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Please ensure that your application is complete before submitting it. Applicants will be unable to make revisions once their application is submitted into the JobAps system. Applicants who submit and subsequently withdraw their application will not be able to resubmit for the same posting.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, transcripts, diplomas, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency.
- The immediate vacancies are listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
- Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics
Connect With Us:
Due to the large volume of applications received, the State of Connecticut is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account. If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Hayley Newhouse at Hayley.Newhouse@ct.gov or (860) 986-6918.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport Authority this class is accountable for performing a variety of skilled tasks at less than the journeyman level in the construction, maintenance and repair of state roadsides, roadways, bridges, airports and other departmental facilities; operates and maintains the more complex mechanical equipment; works as a skilled mechanic at less than the journeyman level in the repair of mechanical equipment.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
See attached addendum.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of construction, maintenance and repair techniques of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports; knowledge of processes and materials used in construction and maintenance trades; oral and written communication skills; considerable ability to use and make ordinary repairs to more complex mechanical equipment; ability to operate equipment as listed on attached Addendum; ability to keep shop records and prepare reports; ability to use, set up and maintain ordinary bench and other shop machine tools and equipment; ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions; ability to utilize computer software.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of experience in the construction, landscaping, commercial driving, snow plowing, maintenance and repair of roadsides, roadways, bridges or airports, in work involving the operation and care of mechanical equipment, or in work in one of the recognized maintenance trades.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
Graduation from a vocational or technical school with a diploma designating completion of the subject requirements in one of the maintenance trades may be substituted for the General Experience.
1. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
2. Incumbent in this class must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow and ice removal, whenever his or her services are needed.
At State Airports: In addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application, a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform theduties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous machinery.
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.