The State of Connecticut, Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) is currently recruiting for a full-time, 40 hours/week, Monday -Friday, 1st shift, Global Travel Industry Sales Manager & Regional District Liaison (State Program Manager) in Hartford, CT with hybrid telework options available. The Tourism travel industry sales manager promotes the State of Connecticut as an overnight destination to tour operators, travel wholesalers/reseller’s, receptive operators and travel agents across the U.S. and key international markets, including leisure and consumers to increase tourism visitation to the State of Connecticut.
The Global Tourism Travel Industry Sales Manager will be responsible for comprehensive travel trade account management and program execution, product development and training, co-op marketing, trade shows, sales missions, familiarization tours and other initiatives. This position reports to the Director of Tourism.
WHO WE ARE: The Department of Economic and Community Development is the state’s lead agency responsible for strengthening Connecticut’s competitive position in the rapidly changing, knowledge-based global economy.
The agency takes a comprehensive approach to economic development that incorporates community development, transportation, education, and arts and culture. Specifically, the department:
- Supports existing businesses and attracts new businesses and jobs with a wide range of programs and services to help companies prosper;
- Promotes Connecticut industries and businesses here at home, throughout the country and across the globe;
- Strengthens Connecticut’s communities by providing funding and technical support for local community and economic development projects;
- Works to make tourism a leading economic contributor and a source of pride for Connecticut;
- Develops and strengthens the arts in Connecticut and makes artistic experiences widely available to residents and visitors; and
- Helps to eliminate brownfield properties by promoting smart growth principles, strengthening public/private partnerships and providing a one-stop resource for expertise.
THE ROLE - RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
WHAT WE OFFER: This opportunity is centrally located in Hartford, CT alongside the Connecticut River with walkable access to museums, a science center, and great restaurants.
- Tourism Development
- Assist in the creation of an annual division work-plan, including budget submission and accountability
- for annual program of work pertaining to the Global Travel Industry division
- Work to increase the State of Connecticut as a featured product in Travel Industry programs
- Nationally and Internationally
- Create and deliver targeted training sessions to increase product and destination knowledge
- throughout the industry for assigned territory/market segments
- Manage the monthly activities and reporting for contracted in-market representation Account
- Managers in assigned National and international markets
- Source and execute travel trade marketing co-ops in assigned markets, maximizing opportunities and
- ROI in line with an assigned budget
- Trade Shows, Sales Missions & Industry Relations
- Identify and attend key industry trade shows and sales missions in assigned markets
- Manage trade show registration, submissions, appointments, shipping, and travel
- Execute trade show follow-up including distributing leads based on tourism trade buyer request to
- Connecticut industry partners
- Work collaboratively with industry colleagues and region tourism representatives
- Conduct dedicated FAM’s based on various themes as to best represent Connecticut as a tourism
- Contribute to newsletters for submission to key travel trade partners as needed
- Partner Relations
- Collaborate with the team to provide partner opportunities for industry education, supplier
- networking and co-opportunities
- Attend and support the quarterly Tourism Council meetings on updates
As a State employee you will also enjoy:
- Flexible work hours and telecommute arrangements.
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits supporting your health and wellness.
- The ability to begin planning for your future with excellent retirement plans and defined contribution plans.
- Paid time off including vacation, sick time, and twelve holidays.
- Interested in learning more, check out our benefits page.
Watch the video below to see what it’s like to be a State of Connecticut employee!
- In order to be considered for this job opening, you must meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
- All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
After You Apply:
- Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board daily to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
- This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders daily in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
- At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position.
Connect With Us:
- Due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
- If have any questions pertaining to this recruitment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In a state agency this class is accountable for planning, organizing and directing an agency program and/or project or directing the development and administration of programs within a division.
Receives general direction from an administrative official of higher grade.
Directs staff as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Directs the administration and/or operations of an agency program and/or project or division; coordinates, plans and manages program and/or project activities; formulates goals and objectives; develops or assists in development of related policy; interprets and administers pertinent laws; provides input or evaluates staff; prepares or assists in preparation of budget; maintains contact with individuals both within and outside of agency who might impact on program and/or project activities; serves on committees and/or and task forces as required; speaks before professional and lay groups on subjects related to agency mission; performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques; considerable knowledge of relevant State and Federal laws, statutes and regulations; considerable knowledge of project management; considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of business and public administration with emphasis on effective organization, administration and management considerable ability to analyze organizational problems and determine effective solutions; considerable interpersonal skills; considerable oral and written communication skills.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Nine (9) years of professional experience.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SPECIAL EXPERIENCE
One (1) year of the General Experience must been in a consultative capacity with programmatic and administrative or project management responsibilities in the specific area of assignment.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - SUBSTITUTIONS ALLOWED
1. College training may be substituted for the General Experience on the basis of fifteen (15) semester hours equalling one-half (1/2) year of experience to a maximum of four (4) years for a Bachelor's degree.
2. A Master's degree in business administration, public administration or a closely related field may be substituted for one (1) additional year of the General Experience.
3. Department of Labor: Two (2) years of experience as an Apprenticeship and Training Program Manager may be substituted for the General and Special Experience.
- Experience in tourism sales in the drive, national and international markets.
- Experience communicating and building relationships with travel agents, tour operators, and receptive operators.
- Experience communicating with stakeholders using both verbal and written communication.
- Experience reviewing and interpreting state and federal government laws, statutes, and regulations.
- Experience networking in the tourism industry (trade & consumer).
- Experience working on multiple (more than 1) tasks and meeting deadlines.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.