Are you a current DOT employee looking for the next step in your career?
If so, we encourage you to apply!
The State of Connecticut, Department of Transportation (DOT), Bureau of Highway Operations invites its qualified agency employees to apply for the position of Transportation Crew Leader (Bridge Maintenance) in District 2 Bridge Maintenance facility in Franklin, CT.
About Us: The mission of the Connecticut Department of Transportation is to provide a safe and efficient intermodal transportation network that Department of Administrative Services Connecticut State improves the quality of life and promotes economic vitality for the State and the region.
Position Highlights: Full-time, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday schedule, first shift hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
**PLEASE NOTE: If hired for the position, the applicant will be required to have a respirator physical per the Department's Respirator Policy and will be required to be fit tested. The applicant will also have to comply with the harness and fall protection training.
- You must hold residency within 30-miles of the job location (Franklin Bridge)
- You must hold a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) A or B, with "tank endorsement," and a valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC). Be sure to indicate your license number in the "Licenses and Professional Certificates" section of your application.
- Applicants invited to interview will be required to produce a copy of their current valid CDL Class A or B, reflecting "tank endorsement" and their valid Medical Examiner's Card (MEC) at the time of interview.
- PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR CDL LICENSE NUMBER AND MEC EXPIRATION DATE IS ADDED TO THE "LICENSES AND PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION" SECTION OF YOUR APPLICATION.
- Various storm events will require employees to be at work prior, during, and after a storm or weather event. Which at times could be up to period of several days, to include holidays and weekends.
- You must be willing to accept assignment to emergency duties, including snow and ice removal, whenever your services are needed; to include mandatory winter overtime from November 1 through April 30.
We offer the same competitive benefits you are accustomed to, including health and dental insurance, a retirement plan, group life insurance, and other supplemental benefits. Paid time off is also offered, including 13 paid holidays per calendar year, in addition to vacation, sick and personal leave accruals. We encourage a healthy work/life balance to all employees.
We hope you take this opportunity to further your career!
In order to be considered for this job opening you must be a current State of CT employee of the agency listed above for at least six (6) months of full-time service or full-time equivalent service, absent any applicable collective bargaining language, and meet the Minimum Qualifications as listed on the job opening. You must specify your qualifications on your application.
These positions will be filled in accordance with contractual language, reemployment, SEBAC, transfer, promotion and merit employment rules. Applications to this recruitment will be used to meet collective bargaining requirements. Once any collective bargaining requirements have been met, all other applicants may be considered.
Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience most closely meets the preferred qualifications, so please ensure that your application is complete and details your experience as outlined in this job posting. Please note: You will be unable to make revisions once you submit your application into the JobAps system.
- For assistance in applying, please visit our 'Applicant Tips on How to Apply' page.
- The immediate vacancy is listed above, however, applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies in this job class.
- The minimum experience and training requirements must be met by the close date on the job opening, unless otherwise specified.
- Ensure that your application is complete and detailed before submitting it. In order to comply with Public Act 21-69, the State of Connecticut is no longer asking for resumes during the initial application process. You will not be able to make revisions once your application is submitted into the JobAps system.
- Please select all location(s) and shift(s) you are willing to work on your application. Failure to do so may result in not being considered for vacancies in that specific location.
Important Next Step Information for After You Apply:
Although applicants will receive correspondence via email, as a backup they are also encouraged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status, view all emailed notices and complete tasks required in the recruitment process.
This posting may require completion of additional referral questions (RQs). You can access these RQs via an email that will be sent to you after the posting's closing date or by visiting your JobAps Personal Status Board (Certification Questionnaires section). Your responses to these RQs must be submitted by the question's expiration date. Please regularly check your email and JobAps Personal Status Board for notifications. Please check your SPAM and/or Junk folders on a daily basis in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
At any point during the recruitment process, applicants may be required to submit additional documentation which support their qualification(s) for this position. These documents may include: a cover letter, resume, performance reviews, attendance records, supervisory references, licensure, etc., at the discretion of the hiring agency. Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications as indicated to apply for this position.
All application materials must be received by the recruiting agency by the time specified on the job opening for the position for which you are applying. Late applications may not be submitted and will not be considered. Exceptions are rare and limited to documented events that incapacitate a candidate during the entire duration of the job posting time period. It is the candidate’s obligation and responsibility to request an exception and provide a legally recognized justification to accommodate such exception. Requests should be made to DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Due to the large volume of applications received, the Department of Administrative Services is unable to provide confirmation of receipt or status during the recruitment process. Updates will be available through your JobAps portal account.
Candidates who are offered and accept a position with the State of Connecticut are bound by the State Code of Ethics for Public Officials and State Employees which is available at www.ct.gov/ethics.
Connect With Us:
If you have any questions pertaining to this recruitment please contact Jasmyn Raymond at Jasmyn.Raymond@ct.gov and reference the recruitment number.
PURPOSE OF JOB CLASS (NATURE OF WORK)
In the Department of Transportation and the Connecticut Airport
Authority this class is accountable for acting as a working supervisor for an
assigned group of Transportation Maintainers and/or Qualified Craft Workers
engaged in an area of transportation maintenance or closely related activities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Plans crew workflow and determines priorities; schedules, assigns,
oversees, and reviews work; establishes and maintains crew procedures; provides
staff training and assistance; conducts or assists in conducting performance
evaluations; acts as liaison with operating units, agencies, and outside
officials regarding unit policies and procedures; may make recommendations on
policies or standards; may prepare reports and correspondence; requisitions
materials and equipment appropriate to the various jobs; participates in
performing the duties of the crew; may do preliminary site inspection of
assigned jobs; may be required to stand by for and respond to fire and/or crash
emergency situations at State-owned airports; performs related duties as
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Knowledge of materials, equipment and approved
methods in the maintenance and repair of movable and stationary bridges; skill
in the operation of related equipment; interpersonal skills; oral and written
communication skills; ability to utilize computer software; some supervisory
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS - GENERAL EXPERIENCE
Two (2) years of skilled experience in the
maintenance and repair of bridges and structures.
Note: For State Employees the General Experience
will be interpreted at the level of Transportation Maintainer 2.
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in bridge maintenance operations to include, carpentry and masonry, structure repairs, and working with heights.
1. Incumbents in this
class will be required to accept assignment to emergency duties including snow
and ice removal as required.
2. Incumbents in this class may be required by the appointing authority to
possess and retain appropriate current licenses, permits and/or certifications.
At State Airports: In
addition to the checking of references and of facts stated in the application,
a thorough background investigation of each candidate may be made before
persons are certified for appointment.
1. Incumbents in this
class must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and
visual and auditory acuity, and must maintain such physical fitness as to be
able to perform the duties.
2. A physical examination may be required.
1. Incumbents in this
class are exposed to extremes of weather conditions, to frequent lifting of
heavy weights, to highly dangerous road and traffic conditions, including
exposure to heights when working on bridges, to poison ivy, insect bites and
allergy irritants during summer months, and to loud and potentially dangerous
2. The appointing authority may require completion of an asbestos removal
program consistent with EPA guidelines for operations and maintenance during
employment in this class. Incumbents may be required to use protective
equipment such as respirators and safety goggles.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Connecticut is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and strongly encourages the applications of women, minorities, and persons with disabilities.